MVHR and the neighbours.

Hi. I can’t find much on the forum about this but in winter time if you have houses burning fuel for fires around you , how does the smoke from their chimneys affect the MVHR ... will it bring in warm, ‘fresh’...chimney air. I know there is a filter but I’m wondering have people experience of this 

Thanks 

Interesting article here

https://www.self-build.co.uk/are-wood-burning-stoves-safe/

I believe it's particulate matter that is the problem.

When I drive to work I pass a old static caravan that must have a really inefficient stove or burning wet wood as the smoke is pouring out within a few meters of another property which has MVHR.

I have a stove but live in very sparsely populated area with few houses around me.

From what I have read on this forum, if someone is burning solid dirty fuel and you are downwind with mvhr then it’s not good news and your best turning it of during these smokey periods. Not good if your looking at the whole heating season.......... 

We didn’t put MVHR for this reason A friend advised that while his is good a neighbour is always burning and has to switch his off 

He’s also a vegi and recons in summer he can almost taste it 

Not sure how true the last one is 

We plan to build another house 

I decided I will put MVRH in 

and see how it goes 

I'm not sure on the chemistry required, but couldn't you build an intake plenum area with some large activated carbon filters to scrub out the particulates and most of the smell. 

Edited by JFDIY

1 hour ago, JFDIY said:

I'm not sure on the chemistry required, but couldn't you build an intake plenum area with some large activated carbon filters to scrub out the particulates and most of the smell. 

Car Pollen filters are cheap - and they fit into standard extract boxes.  You can get a filter box for £20, add a couple of ally L angles to the inside to hold the filter and pick up cheap square activated carbon filters for £4 each on eBay. Even if you change them monthly it’s not going to break the bank.