New Build on Garden Plot

Slewfoot

Hello all,

Just joined the forum to get ideas from people. We are in the process of getting planning permission on our corner plot in Norfolk. We originally had outline planning in view of just selling but now the plan is to build a chalet bungalow. Local council seem to take for ever to respond to any emails on pre planning questions! We discovered drains under the outline plans and we have now relocated the bungalow to avoid drains.

Once full plans are excepted I have a self build mortgage in principle and am planning to build mostly by myself. I have seen BTC courses in Surrey which will help with Bricklaying etc... My question for you all is do I give up my day job to persue this build or have a builder do the job. I am very practical and can usually get to do most jobs. Overall the money saved from employing builder and having the job complete in 8 months or me giving up day job and completing in say 18/24 months. My annual salary is not huge , around 20k.

After the bungalow is complete we  move into it and will sell existing house to pay off self build and current mortgage.

Welcome to the forum. Personally I fear we maybe heading for a recession and might find in a year or two it's harder to get a new one. Do you have help available? Some building jobs are two man or even three. 

Most people find the planning department very slow. Took me over a year to get our planning permission through. Sometimes we heard nothing for a few weeks then discovered the person had left the council and had to wait for a new one to be recruited.

Don't be tempted to start any work on site until you have the CIL exemption paperwork in order or you can loose the exemption altogether and have to pay it. One document lost in the post on the way to the council can cost a fortune. Make sure they receive anything you send. 

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Slewfoot said:

Local council seem to take for ever to respond to any emails on pre planning questions!

your  lucky

our planning dept -will only talk to you on tuesdays and thursdays between 14.00-1600 hours 

any preplanning advice is charged for --they will not answer emails  at all-just pay your £60 for a PPconsultation slot 

you want to ask more questions --arrange another slot and pay some more money 

4 hours ago, Slewfoot said:

Hello all,

Just joined the forum to get ideas from people. We are in the process of getting planning permission on our corner plot in Norfolk. We originally had outline planning in view of just selling but now the plan is to build a chalet bungalow. Local council seem to take for ever to respond to any emails on pre planning questions! We discovered drains under the outline plans and we have now relocated the bungalow to avoid drains.

Once full plans are excepted I have a self build mortgage in principle and am planning to build mostly by myself. I have seen BTC courses in Surrey which will help with Bricklaying etc... My question for you all is do I give up my day job to persue this build or have a builder do the job. I am very practical and can usually get to do most jobs. Overall the money saved from employing builder and having the job complete in 8 months or me giving up day job and completing in say 18/24 months. My annual salary is not huge , around 20k.

After the bungalow is complete we  move into it and will sell existing house to pay off self build and current mortgage.

No I wouldn’t give up your day job 

Do both Get a builder in to get the structure up and carryon at evenings and weekends As I did 

4 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

@nod how come you get a builder in to get the structure up yet aren't put off doing first fix wiring and plumbing yourself?! I'd be well frit of those two trades

For a house this size it would have taken to long for me to build the house Due to planning relays we started in November I brought a five gang in They had both garages built and the house up to wall plate in five weeks 

I roofed the garages Then put the floor joists and boarded the floor over Christmas while they where off 

I built the three pikes and then put the roof trusses on 

I intended bringing a gang on for slating so I could keep the money coming in  it couldn’t find anyone suitable So myself and wife put the several thousand skates on 

The wiring and plumbing where something we enjoyed doing 

Although I must confess we have two very good friends that would pop in each week and tell us what we have missed and any regs we where contravening 

One wired the consumer unit and terminated the UFH 

The other fitted the boiler and connected the gas supply 

Both drew me detailed drawings 

They both spent a day certifying the house 

I gave both a thousand each 

Which they reluctantly accepted 

Very good friends 

I had a quote for electric gate motors supply and fitted

I bought the same motors £600 

and wired in myself Same with the garage door Everything numbered 
and colour coded 

Where do they get the prices 

Trip down memory lane 

Ive three days to wait to find out if my offer for a second and third building plot has been accepted 

16 hours ago, nod said:

No I wouldn’t give up your day job 

Do both Get a builder in to get the structure up and carryon at evenings and weekends As I did 

Not always possible. Our planning conditions limited work on site to between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to noon on Saturdays (no Sunday or Bank Holiday working permitted) and this was strictly enforced.

1 hour ago, NSS said:

Not always possible. Our planning conditions limited work on site to between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to noon on Saturdays (no Sunday or Bank Holiday working permitted) and this was strictly enforced.

So many of the sites I work on do the same 

Though I think no weekend working for a self build would be ridiculous 

7 hours ago, nod said:

So many of the sites I work on do the same 

Though I think no weekend working for a self build would be ridiculous 

It was, and is the single biggest reason why it took us longer to finish than hoped/planned. Unfortunately we had objecting neighbours who took great delight in calling the council if we did anything outside the permitted hours.

Just now, NSS said:

It was, and is the single biggest reason why it took us longer to finish than hoped/planned. Unfortunately we had objecting neighbours who took great delight in calling the council if we did anything outside the permitted hours.

Yeah that’s terrible 

Even a turn key build would have struggled under those conditions