Maximum insulation ?

Waterworks

I'm in the early stages of planning an off grid small one room open plan cabin style house in the UK , not really subject to any extremes of weather, i want to base it on a passive house style of insulation where the absolute minimum of fuel is needed to heat it,  I'd like to find what thickness of PU foam board is the practical maximum , I'm aware that the thicker you go there are diminishing returns, as far as I know now this is in the region of 300 mm ?

Hello

Do you have any weather data for where you want to build?

Knowing those parameters can help a fair bit, takes the guess work out of it, and solar radiation can add a lot of energy to a place (ask @Jeremy Harris).

Also, a small place has a larger surface area to volume ratio, this is a killer when it comes to designing a low energy building, just too much wall..

The physics id pretty basic, two parts, the insulation reduces the power (the watts) that go though the wall, but once though, air movement sucks more power out.  This is why there are a two parts to complex construction formula.

First thing to look at is the R-Value of materials (make sure you pick the SI ones and not the funny American ones).  The K.m2/W.

Also air tightness is important, no point having a foot of insulation if there is a window open.

Hello,

IMHO there is nothing to gain by going below a U value of 0.1W/m2.K for any fabric element. Assuming no thermal bridges (e.g. rafters) this occurs at 250mm (or slightly less) for most PUR/PIR products (e.g. Celotex). The money would produce a greater financial and environmental benefit invested in renewables/air tightness/efficient appliances etc

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A_L said:

The money would produce a greater financial and environmental benefit invested in renewables/air tightness/efficient appliances etc

Or a very fuel efficient car.

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Location also makes a difference, we are in a windy location not far from the sea in a damp environment, @Jeremy Harrisis in a protected hollow so has a warmer micro climate. Not sure how you measure that but it makes a difference.

Possibly a correlation between low level windspeed and temperature at the site.  May also be a place to do a Covariance analysts with irradience. 

21 hours ago, Waterworks said:

I'm in the early stages of planning an off grid small one room open plan cabin style house in the UK , not really subject to any extremes of weather, i want to base it on a passive house style of insulation where the absolute minimum of fuel is needed to heat it,  I'd like to find what thickness of PU foam board is the practical maximum , I'm aware that the thicker you go there are diminishing returns, as far as I know now this is in the region of 300 mm ?

150mm of pir will be eqvilaent to 300mm of  most other types --no need to go any further --just make sure the living area is an air tight box,godd tight fits ,no gaps  --job done

you want to go another step then foam backed plasterboard  to finish 

you could build it from thick SIPS panels+ cladding on outside ?

depending onsize you could uase SIPS for roof as well

air tight is as important if not more  so than   insulation thickness--if you letting the heat out or cold drafts in 

your peeing into the wind  forever

300m pir is OTT

Edited by scottishjohn

23 hours ago, Waterworks said:

You can easily compare the various forms of insulation performance by looking at the thermal conductivity of each, usually given as λ or lambda.  If you want to do some rough and ready comparisons, ignoring thermal bridging and edge/geometric effects, then this simple U value calculator may be of use:  Simple U value calculator.xls

There are some typical λ values given in that spreadsheet as starting points, but you can usually find the exact value for any particular product from the manufacturer's data sheet.  As a general rule, the thickness needed will be directly proportional to the λ value, so PIR with a λ of 0.022 W/m.K that is 200mm thick will be equivalent to rockwool, with a λ of 0.037 W/m.K that's 337mm thick.

• 3 weeks later...

I thinking about building a small cabin in some remote woodland I will own, my thinking is that insulation is relatively cheap and at the planning stage is easy to factor in as much as you want, i could then cut the wood fuel use  for heating down to a level that just an area of coppice ( x acres ) on site will support indefinitely.

Were not going to live there but were going to stay there way longer than is legal, unless we get found out. 

I've read tales of passive houses that require no heating at all most of the UK year. 

Remember not all thicknesses of PIR is available, will probably need multiple layers. Some thicknesses  will probably be cheaper per mm than others, especially if you are using stocked thicknesses rather than special order thicknesses.

I would think that if you insulate it too well you may find the woodburner unbearable to have lit

how big is the cabin?

we are fitting woodburners into cabins that we rent out, but they are badly insulated, I think if I increase it too much the occupiers will probably need to keep the door open. 

We have a woodburner in the house we live in now and find that with the oven on also on a Sunday evening we have to open the back door to let some cold in. 

49 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would think that if you insulate it too well you may find the woodburner unbearable to have lit

how big is the cabin?

we are fitting woodburners into cabins that we rent out, but they are badly insulated, I think if I increase it too much the occupiers will probably need to keep the door open. 

We have a woodburner in the house we live in now and find that with the oven on also on a Sunday evening we have to open the back door to let some cold in. 

Exactly this...

4 hours ago, Waterworks said:

maybe the wood burning stove in the winter would only need to be tiny

Evan a small woodburner is hazardous to health.

On 20/01/2020 at 21:22, Russell griffiths said:

we are fitting woodburners into cabins that we rent out

Taking a bit of a risk in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

According to our letting agents, a woodburner is the biggest selling point in the English holiday rental market, the second is a hot tub. 

Seems odd with the known health hazards (of both).

Do you allow smoking in your holiday lets?

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

In 35 years of doing one of the most dangerous jobs we have in this country, the thing I always considered to be the most life threatening thing I did every day was. 

Drive my car to work. 

I know we are saying woodburners are dirty, but c,mon we aren’t all dropping dead because we sat by the fire in the pub last night. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Wood burners etc...... This is one of those situations where there is a clear line in the sand and some people are firmly on one side with  placards and reams of information  and the others are in there comfy chair with a single malt watching the flames flicker.....  Let’s not get to bogged down on this subject every time it comes up..... reminds me of thermal mass....... 

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

but c,mon we aren’t all dropping dead because we sat by the fire in the pub last night. 

Not how it works, it is an accumulation.

3 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Let’s not get to bogged down on this subject every time it comes up

Trouble is, like a lot of risks, people need constant reminding.  Why we have road signs and health warnings alcohol. 

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Have you cured the air leak on the inlet pipe yet?

yes mate, all sealed up, got some more caulking to do around windows and would not mind another air test, but not at £250 . Just the MVHR to balance, just need someone to help me ?