(smart?) things that should be in every room

puntloos

There's a small minefield of selecting motion sensors for presence/occupancy detection vs intrusion detection. Optimize for Sensitivity vs specificity respectively.

I believe there are fancy KNX ones (and perhaps other protocols) that allow sensitivity to be tuned so it can be adjusted between armed and at home use cases, but even the non-fancy KNX ones are stupid money so I gave up researching.

14 minutes ago, puntloos said:

On another note, @pocster, what "sensor array" did you put together? I think I'd like some combination of smart:

- motion

- temp

- humidity

- light

for each room.

And *perhaps* have the motion ones wired, to avoid clever thieves with jammers getting away with my exotic gourd collection.

Aeotec multi sensor 6 - but it’s z wave . Powered via poe to usb on the unit . Works very well indeed 

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Aeotec multi sensor 6 - but it’s z wave . Powered via poe to usb on the unit . Works very well indeed 

Phew, pricey. Note that for 20 quid you get this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000283075492.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.55343c00zTWCVB&gps-id=shopcart_buyagain&scm=1007.13440.139630.0&scm_id=1007.13440.139630.0&scm-url=1007.13440.139630.0&pvid=8a1434a0-8e28-4ec2-8728-c13208a010bd

I'm tempted to just order one and see if I can get it to play. I might literally cover the actual camera with paper (to turn it into 'light sensor') and snip off the microphone (privacy)..

Edited by puntloos

Just now, puntloos said:

Yep ! But it works . Stuff like your link is certainly worth a punt . Not sure I want your Cctv watching me in the bathroom ... that would shock even the strongest of hearts .

• Like 1

Yep ! But it works .

To be fair, there's not THAT many rooms in a house. 

My main gripe with it is that it relies on wifi/zwave which means a jammer can turn it into a paperweight, although with internal sensors this might not be a major deal for security reasons..

Stuff like your link is certainly worth a punt . Not sure I want your Cctv watching me in the bathroom ... that would shock even the strongest of hearts .

Well your user picture is a good preview to prep..

19 minutes ago, puntloos said:

To be fair, there's not THAT many rooms in a house. 

My main gripe with it is that it relies on wifi/zwave which means a jammer can turn it into a paperweight, although with internal sensors this might not be a major deal for security reasons..

Well your user picture is a good preview to prep..

I reckon I’ll have around 10 of the sensors in the entire house .

I guess it’s feasible to ‘jam’ z wave - but Wi-Fi . Mobile phone all can suffer the same fate . I dont just rely on these for security though ... ip wired Cctv , finger print scanner on front door and when realistic, facial recognition on entering the house . Also using your phone as a beacon to be indicative that it’s you ...

Edited by pocster

The cable category question isn't just a matter of cable cost. The higher spec cables are thicker, stiffer (in some cases, a lot stiffer) and harder to work with. The necessary terminations are more expensive (again, possibly a lot more so). Also, the higher data rates are only reliably achievable if some pretty stringent installation standards are met - everything from termination type and quality through to max bend radii.

If all that will ever happen over a link is switching and maybe KNX-type data, basic Cat5 or 5a is more than sufficient. 

Either way, consider getting LSZH (less fumes in a fire) and definitely make sure the wire is solid copper rather than CCA (copper clad aluminium).

I think I got a good deal on Cat6 when I was buying, but for 90% of my wiring that was complete overkill. 

Trawling the dankweb I did find this: Temp, Motion, Light, Humidity 

But it only works with Apple Homekit. I wonder if there are any good bridges for Homekit to Smartthings or somesuch. @joth you know if suchlike exists? 

3 minutes ago, jack said:

The cable category question isn't just a matter of cable cost. The higher spec cables are thicker, stiffer (in some cases, a lot stiffer) and harder to work with. The necessary terminations are more expensive (again, possibly a lot more so). Also, the higher data rates are only reliably achievable if some pretty stringent installation standards are met - everything from termination type and quality through to max bend radii.

If all that will ever happen over a link is switching and maybe KNX-type data, basic Cat5 or 5a is more than sufficient. 

Tend to agree, today it's definitely true. But what about the future..  ;)

Either way, consider getting LSZH (less fumes in a fire) and definitely make sure the wire is solid copper rather than CCA (copper clad aluminium).

Good call, will make a note.

I think I got a good deal on Cat6 when I was buying, but for 90% of my wiring that was complete overkill.