DIY light feature.

Bitpipe

Finally got round to installing our light feature - we bought the 9 hole rose, bulbs, holders and 36m of fabric cable from Dowsing & Reynolds during the build (so saved the VAT) but only pulled the finger out to get it in for Xmas.

Can’t say it was a heap of fun as the atrium ceiling is 7.5m up and is only 1m wide so a bit claustrophobic and quite warm. Also very limited  safe movement when up that high.

Put up paper bulbs on string and pins first to get the spacing right and then installed the ceiling fittings.

Quick spreadsheet to calculate the individual lengths (and some trig. to allow for the different heights, horizontal runs etc.

Finally measured it out, checked a dozen times and then cut and fit the cable and then installed them 3 at a time - very fiddly but as the rose came with waygo connectors was a bit easier.

Only issue was I couldn’t get the screws in on the side of the rose as it needed a firm hold and then getting screw in and turning it which just did not feel safe that high up so o improv wised with zip ties and they worked great.

Just need to adjust the middle bulbs as I over estimated the horizontal run so they’re about 10 and 5 cm too long.

Will probably never turn it on now ...

BFEFF879-23A1-4F91-BDFB-55E8D01F7A35.jpeg

0EBFAF79-A87C-4FCF-B7EF-290B4A028A7C.jpeg

2C22FD11-878E-409D-B03F-F471101C8DE5.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

That is superb looking. Well done.

Cheers Declan - nearly broke me :)

There were almost tears on two occasions - first when the temp bulb did not work. Quick call to sparky and he reminded me that it had not been connected at the wall switch - how he remembers this 4 years on is beyond me. Second when only one set of the 3 bulbs came on - there's 3 sets of 3 daisy-chained waygos inside the rose (L N & E) - one of the in-between wires had popped out when putting the rose cover on (had tested it first). Of course the ladder had been put away at that stage... 

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Cheers Declan - nearly broke me :)

There were almost tears on two occasions - first when the temp bulb did not work. Quick call to sparky and he reminded me that it had not been connected at the wall switch - how he remembers this 4 years on is beyond me. Second when only one set of the 3 bulbs came on - there's 3 sets of 3 daisy-chained waygos inside the rose (L N & E) - one of the in-between wires had popped out when putting the rose cover on (had tested it first). Of course the ladder had been put away at that stage... 

Keep you fit running up and down the ladder.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Keep you fit running up and down the ladder.

I now know how those astronauts on the ISS feel when they suit up, go outside and realise that they've left the long nose pliers inside.

Did I mention that I don't like heights :)