Timber Clad Self Build

George B

It is now 12 months since we completed a self build timber frame home in Perthshire.  We were new to the process and everything more or less went to plan.  We were fortunate to not require a mortgage for our build, and we are now interested in finding out what the property is worth.

This may seem an easy thing to do, but I have no faith in local estate agents who would have no knowledge of the value we added by installing a top of the range air source heat pump. PV roof panels, and the highest spec of insulation.  The home report required to get our energy certificate, recorded our heating as electric, and was rated ‘2’.  I queried this at the time, and was advised that data used to generate these reports is not up to date, and does not recognise an air source heat pump, as anything more than electric.  We have a Dykin System.

Our home is fuel efficient, timber frame and timber clad, so how can I get an accurate idea of what is is worth?

I am also interested in any tips on house insurance, as many companies refer to us as non standard construction and will not insure.

Many Thanks

Estate agents are your best route 

The features you have added should make a good selling 

point 

Your average house buyer don’t really care about how efficient there new home is 

If they did the mainstream builders would make there homes more efficient 

The non standard seems to be more of an issue in England 

But I’m sure there are others on here that could point you in the right direction 

36 minutes ago, George B said:

[...]

local estate agents who would have no knowledge of the value we added by installing a top of the range air source heat pump. PV roof panels, and the highest spec of insulation. 

[...]

But they'll know how much others will pay for it. In other words its  value.

4 hours ago, George B said:

I am also interested in any tips on house insurance, as many companies refer to us as non standard construction and will not insure.

Welcome to the forum, and well done on your self build. We built a timber frame, cedar clad house and had no problem getting buildings and contents cover from Aviva Insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Welcome to the forum, and well done on your self build. We built a timber frame, cedar clad house and had no problem getting buildings and contents cover from Aviva Insurance.

I think when you contact an insurer for something they don’t cover 

They often give you the impression that no one else will cover it either 

Good info Peter 

6 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

But they'll know how much others will pay for it. In other words its  value.

yes, most buyers don’t  care about SAP , we are also electric but no mention of ASHP being more efficient etc but if you can quote how 

Little your bills are to heat the home that may go down well (I know it would with me!).

If it was only completed a year ago, then you should have had a Design SAP report, followed up by an As Built SAP report that will give you a very much more accurate EPC rating than any home report surveyors RDSAP report.

It is a piece of paper that gives you a warm feeling and everyone else ignores, including the surveyor doing the home report and he will dream up some random probably much worse figure.

If it really matters and you do decide to sell, then give anyone that views the house a copy of the as build SAP report and tell them to ignore the rubbish printed in the home report.  And of course you can give them real like examples of the actual running costs.