Wannabe!

Nikkip

53 minutes ago, Nikkip said:

We’re moving house in a couple of years and I want to self build but husband isn’t too keen.... I’m here to look for inspiration and advice so I can persuade him to take the plunge into self-build.

Have a look at the blogs. A range of projects, different methods, different budgets etc

Welcome to THE forum for self builders. Self building is not for everyone but it is a very broad spectrum from cheque book self builders who pay others to do all the work to the person doing most / all the work themselves and everything in between. Where you are is about finance and inclination. 

Welcome!

Here's how to persuade your man. It's easy really.

Tell him he won't need to lift a finger. Because you'll do it all. All the research , all the finance, all the rows with the Planners ,  take all the moaning neighbours niggles on the chin, get the quotes, decide whom to employ, chase the invoices, do the due diligence, sack the lazy sod who can't build a level wall, choose the windows , make sure they all fit, find out what C 24 is, make sure it is delivered on time, and have a pit dug for any that's left, charm the roofer into doing what he said he would do, at the price he said he would , make tea and biscuits appear magically at juSt the right moment,  refuse to be patronised or irritated by the sheer volume of mansplaining, take all the design decisions with confidence and deep insight, fix the leaking flat roof, do little bits of tiling to show the tiler how it is possible to tile level and straight, keep accurate records , do the VAT return.

And make sure his pipe and slippers are waiting for him when he gets back from the pub.

Easy. 

Dont let them put you off!  You dont mention where you are based but there is a great Self Build and Renovation Centre at Swindon which I'd recommend you visit.  its free if you pre book tickets and is a mine of information, particularly for those beginning their delf build dream.  But I agree that it helps if you both are in this together.  My other half is not as keen and I know I need him to be on board too before we do it. 

There are self build shows all around the country and again, you can get free tickets from various sources; magazines or companies which are keen for their potential customers to attend and see their stall.  They are great for talking to other self builders to get a true picture of what its like. 

And there are plenty of self builders who are happy to show you their own house.  Then you can truely see the benefits as well as discuss the pitfalls and downsides so at least you go into it with your eyes open. 

And lastly, try out the podcasts at Houseplanninghelp.com.  Go back to the beginning as they are going to be most relevant.

Good luck!