Do you like your kitchen sink?

Bored Shopper

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I hate, and I mean really hate, washing up bowls.  I pick them out with my fingertips and put them out of sight if I can.

I remember over 30 years ago a Kiwi girl on her first visit here being astounded/ disgusted that we used washing up bowls in the UK. 

• Like 1

We've had a full house at xmas (12) this week so there has been a full washing up rota - can't hang about waiting for the dishwasher.

Interesting variation in style

- The locals fill sink with hot soapy water and wash cleanest items first, working up to the greasiest. Maybe refresh the water once mid wash.

- The continentals think that is disgusting and just run the tap into an open sink and wash each item individually.

I suppose it's bath vs shower efficiency...

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Why

Because I had a

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Kiwi girl

once.  She was disgusting.

I really have no idea why I dislike them, just something deep rooted and ancient I think.

And they make for less room in the sink.

27 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Because I had a

once.  She was disgusting.

I really have no idea why I dislike them, just something deep rooted and ancient I think.

And they make for less room in the sink.

Kiwi girls? They're alright.

21 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Isn't that what washing up bowls are for?

Yes, and I can't bloody stand them. What is it about the English and plastic bowls in their sinks? I'm sure it's to do with the historical use of gravity hot water systems that would take forever to fill even a moderately sized sink.

My wife never empties ours properly, so it's always full of standing water and a wet dishcloth. Eurgh.

18 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

The continentals think that is disgusting and just run the tap into an open sink and wash each item individually.

My wife does this. Literally turns the hot water tap on full and stands there for ten minutes washing things up without ever turning it off, even if she wanders across the kitchen to get something else to wash.

She also saturates the entire kitchen floor whenever she washes up. I've asked many times over the years how she manages to get so much water on the floor, but still haven't had an explanation.

I use a washing up bowl as we have a large porcelain sink and crockery crashing in that will lead to breakages. It also uses less hot water but I hate cold greasy water left in them, after washing up, wash the bowl, wipe it out and put it away. I also hate the sink being used to “store” stuff ready to wash.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

The continentals think that is disgusting and just run the tap into an open sink and wash each item individually

Na und? ( tr. So what pal?)

A German biochemist once told me that you never know which enzymes Unilever slip into washing up liquid. He worked for them.

Safest always to rinse - twice.

1 hour ago, jack said:

My wife never empties ours properly, so it's always full of standing water and a wet dishcloth. Eurgh.

I take the opposite approach. You can empty the bowl and put it (at an angle) upside down so it drains and will get properly dry after a few hours whereas a sink in daily use never really dries out so is more likely to be a breeding ground for wee beasties.

• Like 1

We have just had our granite worktops fitted with under mount sink.  I was surprised at how deep the sink bowl is, something I had not been expecting.  At first it seems very strange washing up so low down, but you get used to it.

I can answer the "why a plastic bowl" conundrum.

At our home when I was a child, and indeed my sister still works like this.  She washes up in a bowl.  The reason for soing so, is part way through if you find something than needs a bit of a pre rinse, you can turn the tap on and rinse it down the gap between the plastic bowl and the sink.  That also helps explain why the underneath of the bowl can get so disgusting.

The real "issue" is you are trying to wash up in a single sink, when really you should never ever consider anything less than a bowl and a half (you you can do any unexpected rinsing in the half bowl)  then you don't beed the horrible plastic bowl.

On 26/12/2019 at 09:20, joth said:

Lovely.

Easy to clean, or any risk of staining?

Does limescale marks show on a black sink? (Kitchen is where we'll have the only non-softened tap, of course)

Is it this one?

- Blanco Subline in Silgranit

The sink is browner than it looks 

But no it doesn’t show any marks

When we first looked at them

He had a broken plate and scraped the sink with it to show how tough it was 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I use a washing up bowl as we have a large porcelain sink and crockery crashing in that will lead to breakages. It also uses less hot water but I hate cold greasy water left in them, after washing up, wash the bowl, wipe it out and put it away. I also hate the sink being used to “store” stuff ready to wash.

I think this is the real issue and one I completely agree with. People (not mentioning any names) leaving shit in the sink. What is even more infuriating is when they decide to leave things in both sinks so if I want to pour something away I have to get a wet hand to pull the plug first. 

1 minute ago, Construction Channel said:

I think this is the real issue and one I completely agree with. People (not mentioning any names) leaving shit in the sink. What is even more infuriating is when they decide to leave things in both sinks so if I want to pour something away I have to get a wet hand to pull the plug first. 

spot on mate, the sink is not a storage place, it’s a place to “do” something. Also when I fitted kitchens I always recommended bowl and a half (unless they wanted twin bowls) and have been thanked so many times fir the recommendation.

4 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

The solution to that is put one of the plugs away out of sight, to emphasise that the half bowl is only for rinsing stuff, not for soaking stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, ProDave said:

The solution to that is put one of the plugs away out of sight, to emphasise that the half bowl is only for rinsing stuff, not for soaking stuff.

ha, when I installed our sink I hid the plug for the half bowl ?

3 hours ago, jack said:

My wife does this. Literally turns the hot water tap on full and stands there for ten minutes washing things up without ever turning it off, even if she wanders across the kitchen to get something else to wash.

She also saturates the entire kitchen floor whenever she washes up. I've asked many times over the years how she manages to get so much water on the floor, but still haven't had an explanation.

I have one that does that ?

• Sad 1

I think under mounted sinks, Belfast for example, look good with oak worktops but there is the maintenance required. After years of fitting kitchens for other people and fitting all sorts for our build I opted fir laminate and a “cottage” looking porcelain sink. Simple and relatively cheap and easy to clean. I have heard about lots of other surfaces being stainable when people thought they were sealed.