Do you like your kitchen sink?

Bored Shopper

Too much Christmas food makes your brain really thick. Mine is like pea soup today. And that - of all days - is when I have to finalise my kitchen spec.

Now, to kitchen sinks.

We are considering a 1.5 bowl sink - either in stainless steel or in Fragranite (or similar).  Intended for quite heavy daily use (DH is a keen chef) by a family who stubbornly refuse to be slaves to daily uber-cleaning. We'll have a water softener, if it matters.

Can you share your pet hate (or love) re your sinks, please?

1) What is your sink made of?

2) Inset or undermount?

3) Do you like it?

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

My Mum is Italian and loves her cooking. When I fitted her kitchen we got a sink with a large bowl made by Franke IIRC,  where she could fit a full size oven tray into it - which she absolutely loves to be able to do for cleaning

3 minutes ago, Vijay said:

My Mum is Italian and loves her cooking. When I fitted her kitchen we got a sink with a large bowl made by Franke IIRC,  where she could fit a full size oven tray into it - which she absolutely loves to be able to do for cleaning

is it steel or composite? I imagine cleaning an oven tray regularly may offer some scratching...

18 minutes ago, Bored Shopper said:

Too much Christmas food makes your brain really thick. Mine is like pea soup today. And that - of all days - is when I have to finalise my kitchen spec.

Now, to kitchen sinks.

We are considering a 1.5 bowl sink - either in stainless steel or in Fragranite (or similar).  Intended for quite heavy daily use (DH is a keen chef) by a family who stubbornly refuse to be slaves to daily uber-cleaning. We'll have a water softener, if it matters.

Can you share your pet hate (or love) re your sinks, please?

1) What is your sink made of?

2) Inset or undermount?

3) Do you like it?

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Yep

I love our kitchen sink 

I also loved the three others my wife chose prior to settling on this on 

some kind stone resin 

Try hard waring doesn’t scratch 

Blanco 

image.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bored Shopper said:

is it steel or composite? I imagine cleaning an oven tray regularly may offer some scratching...

Brushed steel so doesn't really show up scratches, they soon just blend right in ;)

• Haha 1

I've decided on something of a rarity for our new kitchen (yes, the kitchen is pretty much my domain). Double bowl/ double drainer

https://www.grandtaps.co.uk/products/1500-x-480mm-commercial-two-bowl-double-drainer-kitchen-sink-f01?variant=12346085933161&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqNimnuXS5gIVF-DtCh1GNgbWEAQYAyABEgKtl_D_BwE

but there isn't much choice out there that I can see with a single tap hole. I'm wondering whether a 2- hole one might be better, punching a third in the middle for the tap and using the two original holes for pop-up waste controls...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nod said:

Yep

I love our kitchen sink 

I also loved the three others my wife chose prior to settling on this on 

some kind stone resin 

Try hard waring doesn’t scratch 

Blanco 

image.jpg

Lovely.

Easy to clean, or any risk of staining?

Does limescale marks show on a black sink? (Kitchen is where we'll have the only non-softened tap, of course)

Is it this one?

- Blanco Subline in Silgranit

Edited by joth
Link to UK rather than US version

1 hour ago, joth said:

Lovely.

Easy to clean, or any risk of staining?

Does limescale marks show on a black sink? (Kitchen is where we'll have the only non-softened tap, of course)

Is it this one?

- Blanco Subline in Silgranit

When we visited the showroom they had one they had been using for two years that was white and this was spotless The surface is so hard that you can’t scratch it We put hot trays in out of the oven 

and it doesn’t seem to bother it The brown colour is guaranteed against fading or marking 

It wasn’t cheap But being as it was being bonded to the quarts worktop we didn’t want to be replacing it 

We have a stainless Blanco in the utility That seems ok But I wouldn’t think it would be as durable 

• Thanks 1

We have a Blanco Silgranite sink, the colour is anthracite - 11 years old.

We live in a very hard water area.

For the first few years it looked great, now it has faint grey areas / limescale staining. I have spent hours trying to clean it - I have even used the cleaning product that Blanco produce, with limited / varying results.

Once cleaned and then coated with a layer of chopping board oil (the stuff Ikea sell) it looks as good as new for a couple of weeks, then it needs doing again.

I am swaying towards a stainless steel sink when we have our new kitchen, but every Kitchen showroom we have recently visited all favour the composite sinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We currently rent a house with a 10 y.o. kitchen. The kitchen (a Magnet) is falling apart (couple of doors hand by a thread), units are slightly out of alighnment. The sink (a composite one, we assume) was originally beige or sand colour, but is currently in such a state that no cleaning product can ever return it to anywhere close the original colour.  Really don't want this in my new kitchen!..

IMG_7167.jpg

Mine is a Franke.

The best point is that the order is half-sink sink drainer, which means that mucky stuff in the half sink can be done whilst stuff is draining.

My favourite sinks are sit on top, whiach mean there are no joints to go manky and no oles in worktops to cut.

• Thanks 1

We have a Granite sink. More luck then choice as it came with the second hand kitchen I bought on ebay. It s brilliant and by far the best I ever had. Black/dark looks good, stays nice, easy to clean. Mine was approx. 10-15years old when I got it and looked like brandnew  and  after 5 years still not much signs of wear and tear. Would do it again for the new build but misses insists on Belfast sink.

• Thanks 1

I prefer stainless steel sinks.  Last house we had a large sink in the utility room which took oven trays.  In the kitchen a franke 1.5 bowl with drainer.

The utility room sink was big enough to do a daily bath of young labradoodle puppies to about 4 months old.  Perfect!

• Like 1

We have two stainless sinks - one full size and the other massive.

If I were doing it again, I'd still go for a massive one. It's really handy for cleaning large trays and hardware from the oven.

However, I'd consider replacing the full size one with something smaller so it can be used for washing up with less water than the current one.

Both are under-slung, which I think works well and is less work to keep clean than one that drops in. However, the narrow worktop bridge between them does tend to get scratched up (it's white corian - literally the worst worktop I've ever had).

The ideal for me would be a pair of underslung sinks with no worktop bridge. Something like this but with a much larger second sink (not sure if such a thing even exists!) 

19 hours ago, Bored Shopper said:

We currently rent a house with a 10 y.o. kitchen. The kitchen (a Magnet) is falling apart (couple of doors hand by a thread), units are slightly out of alighnment. The sink (a composite one, we assume) was originally beige or sand colour, but is currently in such a state that no cleaning product can ever return it to anywhere close the original colour.  Really don't want this in my new kitchen!..

IMG_7167.jpg

Try some Barkeepers Friend.