Daylight Robbery!

TheMitchells

Have been getting some quotes for a dropped kerb for parents bungalow.  It tool over 6 months to get the permission but the council finally relented and sent us the contractors list that we can use.  Tried about 5 but most too busy as its Christmas!  however, had two quotes - £1500 + vat and £2,500 + vat!! here's the kerb - its 5 cm high and made of granite cobbles which they will re-use. 

IMG_20191220_100627.thumb.jpg.bc8a7f4dc7fcd5c4df3c6567a1166050.jpg

Is that daylight robbery or not?? 

I guess £260 of that is the council licence they have to have.  But even so, are they going to re-do the whole footpath around the bungalow?  Anyone else had a dropped kerb to give me some perspective on costs?

But like usual - we cannot use a local reasonable firm; we have to use someone off the Council list which seems to give them the ability to charge anything they like.

Bah Humbug!!

We had similar quotes £2500 and £3000 for moving a lamppost 

I spoke to a contractor working on the road nearby and he said if you can wait six months we have some work to do nearby 

When they came to move the curbs He told me the lamp post was going to be moved anyway 

He charged £150 for eight curbs 

and we just waited for them to move the lamp 

But they would have let us pay 

Your right the prices are ridiculous 

56 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

we cannot use a local reasonable firm; we have to use someone off the Council list which seems to give them the ability to charge anything they like.

not correct ..!!

You can use anyone that has a street works licence and is insured, and does it to standard street works specification. 

1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

Have been getting some quotes for a dropped kerb for parents bungalow.  It tool over 6 months to get the permission but the council finally relented and sent us the contractors list that we can use.  Tried about 5 but most too busy as its Christmas!  however, had two quotes - £1500 + vat and £2,500 + vat!! here's the kerb - its 5 cm high and made of granite cobbles which they will re-use. 

IMG_20191220_100627.thumb.jpg.bc8a7f4dc7fcd5c4df3c6567a1166050.jpg

Is that daylight robbery or not?? 

I guess £260 of that is the council licence they have to have.  But even so, are they going to re-do the whole footpath around the bungalow?  Anyone else had a dropped kerb to give me some perspective on costs?

But like usual - we cannot use a local reasonable firm; we have to use someone off the Council list which seems to give them the ability to charge anything they like.

Bah Humbug!!

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask 

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

So what happens if you don’t “do it” and continue to use your drive (as you are anyway!), just tell them you have not got round to it yet,!,!!

They fine you for driving on the pavement or come and erect bollards whilst your car is parked so you can't get off.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1005838/parking-driveway-dropped-kerb-pavement-fine-bill/amp

Edited by Onoff

46 minutes ago, Onoff said:

They fine you for driving on the pavement or come and erect bollards whilst your car is parked so you can't get off.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1005838/parking-driveway-dropped-kerb-pavement-fine-bill/amp

I only ever seen the theory of it. Never any reports about it actually being enforced. It probably like so many things really depends on the council, but in my area (Bristol city,) the council doesn't even enforce against people parking on green spaces illegally after complaints. Whole neighbourhood here tries to stop this practise, council doesnt act. Too busy, no times,...

I doubt that actually anything would happen if you use the drive without a dropped kerb, but obviously it s the risk of the person doing it.

The verge and pavement are usually part of the highway so you have a ROW over them. 

Think the issue must be traffic regulations rather than ROW.

Edit: link @Onoff posted refers to highway act 

Edited by Temp

OK, after reading the article, it looks like there are two issues.  Firstly, the requirement to have permission for a 'dropped kerb' is necessary to stop people creating addditional and potentially dangerous vehicular access points onto the highway, but if you've got permission, then that's already in the bag.  The second issue is making sure that the access over the pavement is of the right spec to stand vehicular traffic without sinking (I assume pavements are generally built to a significantly lower spec than roads).  It would make the quotes look a little more reasonable if that section of the pavement needs digging out to a greater depth and backfilling with stone.

On 25/12/2019 at 21:29, Onoff said:

Dad has already ahd a letter saying that they have seen his car on our temporary drive and he has crossed the footpath which is illegal.  while they dont mention prosecution; that is implied and as am 80 year old, he does not want to do anything illegal and would be horrified to think he'd be sent to court. 

22 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

OK, after reading the article, it looks like there are two issues.  Firstly, the requirement to have permission for a 'dropped kerb' is necessary to stop people creating addditional and potentially dangerous vehicular access points onto the highway, but if you've got permission, then that's already in the bag.  The second issue is making sure that the access over the pavement is of the right spec to stand vehicular traffic without sinking (I assume pavements are generally built to a significantly lower spec than roads).  It would make the quotes look a little more reasonable if that section of the pavement needs digging out to a greater depth and backfilling with stone.

yes, thats correct.  The council say it is the cost of making the pavement to the right specification.  and I guess that does make the price more reasonable.  howwever, there are loads of places around where people cross the pavement and even park on the kerb and I doubt they get any letters. 

On 25/12/2019 at 15:31, PeterW said:

not correct ..!!

You can use anyone that has a street works licence and is insured, and does it to standard street works specification. 

I shall look into that as we have been told that we can only use those contractors on the list.  we did get someone out to give a quote for the driveway and he was not happy as he had tried to get on the council list and couldnt.  so he he could not give us a price for the dropped kerb. 

I still think the prices are way too high for the work. hopefully we'll get more reasonable ones now we are after Christmas and some of the other firms willcome and give us quotes. Fingers crossed!

On 25/12/2019 at 22:19, Patrick said:

I only ever seen the theory of it. Never any reports about it actually being enforced. It probably like so many things really depends on the council, but in my area (Bristol city,) the council doesn't even enforce against people parking on green spaces illegally after complaints. Whole neighbourhood here tries to stop this practise, council doesnt act. Too busy, no times,...

I doubt that actually anything would happen if you use the drive without a dropped kerb, but obviously it s the risk of the person doing it.

I remember a case in Oxford years ago where someone built a garage without planning permission.  They did not enforce it's removal, but they did plant a cast iron bollard in the footpath that blocked any vehicle from ever getting to the garage.

40 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I could make that a dropped kerb in about an hour with sthil saw-

-just cut an angle on the kerb stones that are  there -- would I bother -- i doubt it

Like you I don’t see a problem in doing it but as above if the council noticed/bothered it’s all about the pavement being upgraded. My sister has a drive with no dropped kerb but low cobbles like the picture and they have been using it for the last 30+ years with no bother.

The average cost in Surrey is £1500.

"An authorised vehicle crossover ("dropped kerb") allows you to access your property safely and easily when you are using a car or other domestic vehicle. Kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it to avoid damage to the pavement, pipes or cables buried beneath it.

It is an offence to carry out any works on the footway without our express permission. Unauthorised vehicle crossovers will cause the footway to deteriorate and put those using the footway at risk. We take seriously our duty to maintain our highways and protect it from damage, if necessary by legal action."

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/permits-and-licences/vehicle-crossovers-or-dropped-kerbs

There are several external factors that can affect your quote, including:

• The size and gradient of the proposed crossover
  • Utility adjustment/diversion
  • Street furniture adjustment
  • How quickly the contractor can carry out the works
  • If traffic lights are needed or not to carry out the works
  • As part of our initial checks, we will contact all of the utility companies to see what equipment (pipes, cables etc.) is located underground. This information will be passed to you in your 'crossover pack'. If there is equipment that requires adjustment or diversion, you will be responsible for the arrangement and cost.

Cost sounds about right. We had one put in last year, for extending our existing drop kerb by 5m we were getting quoted just over £2k although they did need to get traffic lights in as we are on a main road.

Coment above about contractors is correct, the council/highways will give you a list of recommended but you can use anyone who has the correct licence and insurances.

Cheers,

MM

A mate had it done. Said it was a doddle. Made contact with one of the council approved contractors. Any problem was "no problem, don't worry, I'll sort it".

Turns out he was the BiL of someone at the council. 

?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got the same issue, it's going to cost £2000+ through Surrey County Council just for 4 meters, I'd be okay if it were £800 but £2k is crazy. It's only about 50mm high so easy to drive up and down, but people keep parking across it and blocking us in.

Found an approved contractor who will do it on the side for £400 cash which is much more appealing, does anyone think the council keeps a record of which kerbs have been dropped? I wonder if they would take legal action if they found out or just make me pay the full going rate.

IMG_0252.jpg

6 minutes ago, markymark said:

I've got the same issue, it's going to cost £2000+ through Surrey County Council just for 4 meters, I'd be okay if it were £800 but £2k is crazy. It's only about 50mm high so easy to drive up and down, but people keep parking across it and blocking us in.

Found an approved contractor who will do it on the side for £400 cash which is much more appealing, does anyone think the council keeps a record of which kerbs have been dropped? I wonder if they would take legal action if they found out or just make me pay the full going rate.

IMG_0252.jpg

Nah! Just do it, councils are too busy to notice and if the contractor looks “pro” who is going to question it . ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1