Failed septic tank & soakaway - replacement issues!

Caroline E

Hi @PeterW, sadly I don’t think that’s an option. The ground is very boggy with ponding and a smell when disturbed. Although it’s in our deeds to have one there, it’s not in the neighbours and they would object to anything else going there. I just don’t think I could cope with a fight and falling out with neighbours. I’m happy to drain to the ditch, just a little concerned over running costs of pump station. The company who took a look think the integrated pump won’t be powerful enough, but I’m waiting on confirmation from them.

1 hour ago, Caroline E said:

Hi @PeterW, sadly I don’t think that’s an option. The ground is very boggy with ponding and a smell when disturbed. Although it’s in our deeds to have one there, it’s not in the neighbours and they would object to anything else going there. I just don’t think I could cope with a fight and falling out with neighbours. I’m happy to drain to the ditch, just a little concerned over running costs of pump station. The company who took a look think the integrated pump won’t be powerful enough, but I’m waiting on confirmation from them.

I agree, we also have boggy ground and I would not want to make it worse, I am glad we piped from out treatment plant into a ditch.

Although the pump may be typically about 1KW or even more, it only runs when the pump chamber reaches a certain height and empties it.  Most of the time the pump is not running, so I would not get bothered about the running costs at all.

We ruled out (did not even oficcially investigate) a soakaway in the field behind us, becaue it is a low point in the field and rainwater sits in ponds in heavy rain so it would be pretty certain the water table is simply too high.

If you can engineer the works needed to discharge to a watercourse you eliminate a whole host of potential problems and maintenance issues.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Caroline E said:

I wondered if anyone here (@ProDave)has experience with pump stations? I’m keen to get a rough idea of the running costs involved.

The Grundfos pump in our pump station is rated at 235W and only runs for between 5 and 10 minutes a day in total, so is a matter of pence/day to run. It has a maximum head of 5m but only has to lift about 2.5m.