Advice re: structural support for a chimney stack

Alex L

Hi all, hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice on an issue I have?

We have just bought a 1930s mid terrace house from some elderly relatives. There are two chimney flues that run down the front and back of the house that converge in the attic. The breast has been removed in the front bedroom and we think this was done some time in the 70s or 80s. In the attic the remaining stack at the front ends close to the floor, and is supported by some solid chunks of wood that are connected to one of the joists that cross the attic floor. There is absolutely no sign of give and it all looks stable and healthy. The neighbours still have their chimney breast intact.

However, I do know this isn't compliant with current building regulations. We are in the process of doing the house up and I suppose my question is what more experienced people advise that I do about it? It's going to cost a lot of money to get this redone and get steel support put in. I suppose I think it's unlikely this is suddenly going to come down without any kind of warning, although I'm no structural engineer! However we will want to re-sell eventually and I dont know how much of an issue this would be in any future sales process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Alex L said:

Thanks for all your advice. The neighbours I think have a mirror chimney so I'm not sure I can totally remove mine without affecting theirs.

It sounds like I will just have to get it done anyway.

Find out what their plans are - they may want to get rid of the roof stack.