Second fix onwards DIY?

Sjk

Hi all,

In order to keep costs down I am thinking about having a main contractor complete the build up to 1st fix and then completing the second fix onwards my myself. 

I've no construction experience but I'm okay at DIY, fitted bathroom, kitchen etc.

Any thoughts on how this could play out?

I was thinking the decorating, tiling, flooring, kitchen, bathrooms, fitting internal doors, skirting and window boards, landscaping etc. I assume I am allowed to fit switches, sockets?

When needed I'll get trades in to do the jobs I can't, like heating, plastering etc

We have done a mix of contractor and DIY second fix.  Here's the breakdown.

Stud walls - extra ones needed additional to those supplied by timber frame company: DIY

Sound insulation in stud walls / ceilings: DIY

Plasterboarding: Sub contractor

Plastering: Sub contractor

MVHR fit: DIY

Internal doors / door frames: DIY

Window boards: DIY

Stairs: DIY (got a chippie friend in for some initial advice, thereafter doing it ourselves, including fitting landing glass and finishes - still to do)

Second fix plumbing: Sub contractor

Second fix electrics: sub contractor

Kitchen fit: sub contractor

Tiling: sub contractor (glad we did this particularly as a much better job over a huge floor area)

Painting: DIY

Skirting: DIY

Wood flooring / carpet fitting: sub contractor

Wallpapering: DIY

And its not over yet.......(started in Jan, still not finished inside or out)

So a real mix.  Saved a lot of money.  Worth noting that this has cost us a lot in time but has actually been fun.  Learned a lot along the way too.

And our finishes in some places would not be good enough for some people probably......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonshine said:

obs, you couldn't do second fix electric nor anything gas related in second fix plumbing.

Good idea You will save a chunk of money 

I did most of the build including wiring and heating You will need someone to sign off your electrics and boiler 

Id a plumber and Electrian friend who checked all the first fix before I plastered the inside 

But if your going to get it first fixed It should be a doddle 

Just ask who ever does the first fix if the will sign it off at the end