Fitting Back Panels To Units

Toppers

Our kitchen layout has 3no units in an L shape where the backs are exposed, I'm intending to cover over with back panels some of which I will need to remove at a later data, can anyone recommend a fixing clip/method for this.

I also need to fix 2no back panels directly to the back of a unit that has a recess in the back, they need to be secret fixed and can be permanently fitted, any recommendations for this as well please.

I had a similar problem, but decided that  clips/secret fixings which were strong enough to keep the panel in place would probably mean that it would get damaged upon removal, so put a couple of battens and screws it in place and covered with screw caps

Some units (especially of the flat-pack variety) depend upon the wall they are screwed to for their structural stability. If you use these sorts of units away from a wall, you often find you have to rigidly fix a back panel to them. If the back is to be removable, make sure the unit is rigid enough without it.

• Like 1

How about something like this. The "hooks" would be made from battens/strips of wood.. Would need to allow a small gap (20mm?) at the top to allow the back to slide up to remove. Lots of variations on this theme possible eg top hook longer than the bottom and pointing upwards could also work.

2099948550_HangingBacks.png.e59222b0acd1fb405d6eba68b4b423fc.png

Edited by Temp

Our kitchen island is like this.  Actually 5 units strapped together.

Howdens sell a large one piece back panel for this.

It simply screws through from the inside of 2 of the units.  in  this case the 2 end units,  the curved ones, the back does not have a cavity so simply screwing through from the inside is all that is needed.  Simple to remove should I need to.

kitchen_1.thumb.jpg.b6f8c5654894bb82c7ff62c6ef8c31d2.jpg

• Like 1

Button magnets glued or even routed/recessed into the panel?  I use button magnets to secure fireguard to metal fireplace and they are incredibly strong.   If panel is too heavy just create a small lip at bottom of panel to take weight

A variation of this might even be Velcro stapled to panel.  I use this method for attaching bespoke stainless steel plinths in my kitchen.

have you thought about hinging the panels if they are not too wide.  Just using hidden hinges like the ones on the cupboard doors. Then magnetic catches.

• 2 weeks later...

Screw battens to back of panel that will sit inside of the void at back of unit then screw through back panel of unit in to battens in a few strategic discreet places job done.. leave a few mm at top of panel and it will be easily removable..