Ceiling service batten depth

Russell griffiths

Evening all. 

I know this was covered recently, but I’m buggered if I can find it. 

I will be fitting pir insulation to my ceiling with a batten fitted underneath for cables and to fix the plasterboard to, so the question is how deep should this batten be. 

There is a very good chance I will fit downlights so need a batten to cope with shallow lights, how shallow do some of these new led lights go down to. 

If the lights are deeper than the batten can I do a recess into the pir insulation?

does that make sense, if a light needed 50mm depth but I had a 25mm batten could I cut a nice neat 30mm deep recess in the pir and line it with foil tape, obviously using a cool running led lamp. 

I think mr @Onoff was talking about some shallow lamps. 

Do not cut into the PIR.

I have fitted a MF ceiling in my rear extension with a single vaulted roof and also on the second floor extension with a vaulted roof.

The MF gives around me about 75mm of void depth - this includes a small gap to allow cables to pass under the primary channels, so could be about 65mm if placed tight against the PIR.

I will be fitting Aurora Mpro downlights - they only need 47mm depth as the driver can be split from the lamp. I have a fixed version and the adjustable version on trial and I am impressed with them - not the cheapest downlights out there.

https://auroralighting.com/gb/trade/ProductDetail/AU-MPRO1

There are also other offerings from other manufactures that will fit into small spaces -  such Collinwood to name another brand that have the driver fitted at 90 degrees.

Edited by wozza

Do not cut into the PIR

@wozza can you elaborate on why you don’t like this idea. 

I was thinking 70mm pir with a 20mm deep recess covered in the foil tape to bring it back to a fully sealed surface, cut the recess 100mm wider than the light fitting, LED light so low temperature. 

Tell me why this is stupid @Onoff @ProDave