Radiator & Plumbing manifolds.

Raks

Hi All;

I will install a 10-11 port manifold for wall hanging radiators. (and later we will add actuators for room-by-room control)

The usual way is to use  MLC Pipes to each radiator but the (old-school :) plumber suggested that better to use copper pipe as he is concerning about long term potential damages of  "plastic pipes" in void subfloor areas. 

Two questions:

1- which brand/model manifold would you recommend for "wall hanging radiators"? are all same or some have better quality?

2- I am not sure about running copper pipes yet but if we do is there some specific manifolds for copper connections or should we need extra adaptors? or better and easy to install to add MLCP tails to copper pipes manifold connection ends.

Also we will install 4-5 port hot and cold wate manifolds for kitchen, bathroom and ensuite. Same question; any recommendation of make/model for hot/cold water manifolds?

Thanks.

Plumbers always suggest copper, as its what they are most comfortable with generally. MLCP (and I'm talking the proper Pex-Al-Pex stuff) is a hybrid between copper and plastic, has all the benefits of both, and the aforementioned pipe has an aluminium liner down the middle of it, as an air barrier and pipe stabiliser/strengthener. One of the things about going down the manifold route is the lack of joints in the system, which doesn't only make it much quieter, it also stops any potential leaks from happening. Aside from that MLCP will also be much cheaper if you use the 16mm stuff from europe with the relevant cones everywhere, and far easier to install. I ditched the copper when I re-did all the pipework here and have never looked back since.

2 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

One of the things about going down the manifold route is the lack of joints in the system

This is the main reason why we decided to upgrade the whole plumbing system with manifolds (central heating with radiators as well as hot/cold water in kitchen/bathrooms). there are few brands (and cheaper ones on ebay) in the market but could'nt find  decent independent reviews about the brands and models yet to decide..

I got mine from here: https://pswtradesuppliers.co.uk/

Prices seemed reasonable, and I liked the fact that they manufacturered their own pipe, plus the hybrid of compression and press fit connections really appealed to me, as the press fit tools are very expensive. I think there are quite a few out there like this.

Its been in over a year, and no issues so far.

9 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I got mine from here: https://pswtradesuppliers.co.uk/

Prices seemed reasonable, and I liked the fact that they manufacturered their own pipe, plus the hybrid of compression and press fit connections really appealed to me, as the press fit tools are very expensive. I think there are quite a few out there like this.

Its been in over a year, and no issues so far.

Press fitting seems more reliable but requires special tools. ( I was told they are available to hire but don't know the rates)

This is where I get confused:

Are all the multilayer composite pipes have same standards?
If I get a 16mm pipe from one manufacturer, can I still use fittings from other manufacturers?
Is there any crass-brand standard or professional de-facto choice when it comes to composite pipes and fittings ? Are the fittings proprietary to a specific brand/manufacturer but can be used with all composite pipes?

As far as I'm aware, all 16mm MLCP pipe is the same, its classed as 16/2, which is a 16mm OD with 2mm wall thickness, so in that case the pipe should be able to be used for any of the fittings.

As for the hybrid compression/press fittings which PSW sell, i've not come across these anywhere other than here, thats not to say they don't exist, i just only found them here, which is why i went with them.

There is also a UK made 15mm MLCP made by Pegler, Tectite, which had push fittings like JG, but its around 4 times the price of the PSW stuff, I wasn't willing to pay the premium for 1mm less pipe diameter, and push fittings, I knew as soon as I tightened the first eurocone up i'd made the right choice with what i'd bought.