Grant v Daikin

Ralph

We've recently had a contractor recommend a Grant ASHP (model not specified). I've not really looked at them and was going to go for the Daikin Altherma 3.

I'm assuming the Grant will be cheaper, just waiting for details.

Does anyone have opinions on the Grant?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Ralph said:

We've recently had a contractor recommend a Grant ASHP (model not specified). I've not really looked at them and was going to go for the Daikin Altherma 3.

That Daikin is a split system, but Grant only appears to make monobloc pumps. Which are you after? I'd try and decide that first, then choose manufacturer.

Are you interested in one that supports cooling as well as heating? The Daikin split systems do have it as an option, don't know about Grant. 

8 minutes ago, joth said:

That Daikin is a split system, but Grant only appears to make monobloc pumps. Which are you after? I'd try and decide that first, then choose manufacturer.

Are you interested in one that supports cooling as well as heating? The Daikin split systems do have it as an option, don't know about Grant.

I've not thought too much about that to be honest. We have plenty of space and I'm not doing the install so I was leaning to the split system.

Split systems bring a bit more of the noisy machinery inside the house, and perhaps have a bit more ongoing maintenance to think about so I'd only do split if there's a specific need for it - e.g. long pipe run from external unit to cylinder.

That said, like for like they will always be a bit more efficient in operation so in a high heat load situation they might pay to go for. 

Just now, joth said:

Split systems bring a bit more of the noisy machinery inside the house, and perhaps have a bit more ongoing maintenance to think about so I'd only do split if there's a specific need for it - e.g. long pipe run from external unit to cylinder.

That said, like for like they will always be a bit more efficient in operation so in a high heat load situation they might pay to go for. 

That makes me think that monobloc may well be the way to go then. We don't have a high heat load and noise would drive me mental.

46 minutes ago, joth said:

How long would that distance need to be, to be considered too long for a monobloc ASHP?

I've been told 10m although I know folks on here have done (considerably?) longer. 

Also an important question is how much of the run is outside the thermal envelope - I understand split system will be better for situations where the pipe doesn't immediately come into the heated space. 

• Thanks 1

Based on our AC system in the US (where Daikin - who we'd never heard of when we renewed our whole AC system some years ago - are highly respected ) we can't recommend Daikin highly enough and will be installing a Daikin hybrid (ASHP + LPG) system in our new house in the UK.

Price is one thing but cost of ownership is another?