Sometimes builders merchants annoy the pants off you.

So I needed two 40mm solvent weld straight couplers.  I needed them today so I could not mail order.

£4.30 for two from TP.

I could have got 5 from screweys for £3.75 or 78p each in Toolstation.

Just saying.

Then they wonder why I don't buy much from them lately.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

So I needed two 40mm solvent weld straight couplers.  I needed them today so I could not mail order.

£4.30 for two from TP.

Just saying.

The irritating thing is, if you were known to them, that price would probably fall to about £2!

Over the years of DIY I have built up relationships with merchants and the prices I get are the same as trade but the issue is if you go in and the guy behind the counter is not your usual guy you are back to square one.

There is a wholesale motor factors I go to for oil and wipers and things, if I go in and it's not the guy I know I tend to just look about and then leave. I needed an alternator one Saturday in a hurry, it packed in on a Friday night and I needed to go somewhere on the Saturday night, garage said they couldn't do it till the following week, went in and luckily my chap was on, I got a genuine 160A Bosch alternator for less than £100 - when he rang up the part at first he said, "Right so, £268, but we can do better for you, £85 (I think it was) to you" I would have been happy if he said £200!

I do think however that merchants are better than they were say 10 years ago, I think with the likes of Screwfix and Toolstation (mind you, a lot of the TS stuff is cheap for a reason) they have realised they need to be more competitive even for the average walk in. I went into a Jewsons about 10 years ago for 2400x600x22mm T&G caberfloor, chap said £33.00 a sheet and looked at me with a serious face when he said it, I just laughed and said, I assume there is a mistake, he looked again and said no £33, I said for both I assume, no no each! I said we both know that is a £7-8 sheet at best, what can you do it for - £11 - not great but for 2 sheets not bad either! I have since been in after about a decade of boycotting them for that ridiculous price and this time they were much more sensible prices. 

45 minutes ago, Dee J said:

So many of the 'Trade' suppliers run such obscure pricing models, with ridiculous list prices and mysterious discounts. Thoroughly off-putting. Much prefer a realistic published price.

I have noticed this, for example a 100m drum of 4.0mm T&E list price in CEF is about £1000.00 but they always discount it - obviously! I think it is so they can rip of government organisations or something. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

£4.30 for two from TP.

Just saying.

TP are a nightmare 

I needed a foam gun in a hurry

£37 

Normally pay under a tenner 

Diary entry for the last time I went into TP:

= 2018-02-22 Thur

.Thurso Travis Perkins for 3.75x40 galv twist nails but only had
30mm (at £30+VAT for 2.5kg). Asked for quote on 20 x 220x45 C24.
Left number for them to phone back.

They didn't phone back.

I ordered 3 × 2.5kg bags for £29.70 (incl VAT and delivery) on line the following day. That's the price for the 3 bags, not each.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

£4.30 for two from TP.

The most bonkers thing is that TP actually own Toolstation, so why the insane price differences god only knows...

Gave up with builders merchants a long time ago, tend to use online 'brokers' or eBay if I can plan ahead, it all turns up on a TP/Jewsons/a-n-other lorry at the end of the day anyway! The only one I've been to recently was CCF for an obscure plastering product (Knauf Betokontakt) although even thats now in TS as 'blue grit'

Edited by MrMagic

11 hours ago, Barney12 said:

I agree. I guess they work on the premise that the “I need it now” sales are better than the volume business but it hardly develops loyalty!

Also, the "someone else is paying" aspect that builders may have, so material costs are secondary to ease of getting it on site.

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

all i would say  is just look at the other shops for all sorts of things, that are not there now

,due to internet with no overheads .

you can,t have it both ways --local+best price 

But Screweys and toolstation both have shops.  The only trouble is, they are 24 miles from me.  TP is only 7 miles, and I was going that way for something else anyway.

It is no wonder though that those that can't compete, die.