M2 calculation and tile name

Scotty78

Hi all

Looking for some help working out how many m2 of tiles I need for my roof. It's a rectangular shaped hip roof and I have attached a picture of both the side view and the rear face. The front face is a mirror image of the back and both sides mirror each other. The length of the roof including the soffit is 9250mm and the width inc soffit is 7160mm. The ridge length internally at the peak is 2100mm and height internally is 2150mm.

I have tried to work out the square meters but have came up with different advice on how to measure on different sites, would rather a roofer gave me a ball park quantity idea.  Also I think the existing tiles are Ludlow majors could anyone confirm that? 

Thanks 

20191207_112716.jpg

20191207_112733.jpg

7 hours ago, Scotty78 said:

Hi all

Looking for some help working out how many m2 of tiles I need for my roof. It's a rectangular shaped hip roof and I have attached a picture of both the side view and the rear face. The front face is a mirror image of the back and both sides mirror each other. The length of the roof including the soffit is 9250mm and the width inc soffit is 7160mm. The ridge length internally at the peak is 2100mm and height internally is 2150mm.

I have tried to work out the square meters but have came up with different advice on how to measure on different sites, would rather a roofer gave me a ball park quantity idea.  Also I think the existing tiles are Ludlow majors could anyone confirm that? 

Thanks 

20191207_112716.jpg

20191207_112733.jpg

Looking at that I would just count them, I got bored after about 9 but then it is not my roof and I have no interest in knowing, but if it was, I'd probably have had them counted by now.

The tile could also be a Redland Renown.

10 minutes ago, Scotty78 said:

Ok so there is 1300 tiles, 48 third round ridges and 6 seg ridges. Seems a lot for a 3 bed house. Not sure how many m2 that is but thought it was normally 10 per m2.  

now you need to factor in batons,coumter battons? and vapour barrier costs.

can you see the underside of roof from your loft --Is it solid sarking or drapped vapour barrier type

just a guess  its drapped type with no cunter batons

-solid sarking  boards is a scottish thing ,but better system 

Edited by scottishjohn

3 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

now you need to factor in batons,coumter battons? and vapour barrier costs.

can you see the underside of roof from your loft --Is it solid sarking or drapped vapour barrier type

just a guess  its drapped type with no cunter batons

-solid sarking  boards is a scottish thing ,but better system 

My roof doesn't have osb sheeting, its like old style silver foiled gyproc. Its starting to blow in and I think it would break up quite easily. I think around here they use osb3 and tyvec. I had sent the 2 pics in my initial post to my local tile shop, they told me 1096 tiles but having counted them myself I can see they were a little short or perhaps they were using the offcuts at the ridges for the other side. Anyway for battons they had said I need the following:

3 roll membrane breathable

240 lin mt  38 x 19 counter

380 lin mt tile batt

A roofer had told me I only had 76m2 of tiles but I guess he's way off. The reason the m2 is important to me is a company quite near me are advertising a reroof on a detached house of upto 80m2 for £4480 inc skips and scaffold. I was trying to see if id be better using them or using a couple of roofers I know with me supplying the materials. 

Just to update this in the slim chance anyone has the same issue in the future.  

I finally worked out the issue. The builder who built my house initially George Wimpey who built similar estates nationwide generally at that time tiled using ludlow majors. 

My house which is an unusual style that wimpey stopped making in the 60s they used ludlow plus. 

The tiles look identical other than size! Theres nearly 16 ludlow plus per m2 compared with 10 ludlow majors. My neighbours house which is a different house style despite being built at the same time has ludlow majors. 

So my roof is around 75m2. Least the roofing costs will be more reasonable.

Edited by Scotty78

Surely you just measure width of roof, multiply by length of roof to ridge (pitch by half depth of house, pitch likely marked on trusses in loft) then half it. That gives you one face. Multiply by 4 if square. Or by 2 if oblong them rinse and repeat other side