I have been bounced between planning/building control at the local council and the VOA
I have called the VAO twice today and they say haven't had notification of registration of the address, which they say they need a report to confirm registration of the address before allocating an officer to value it.They say this comes from building control or planning, (they don't know which) 

I called the planning/building regs dept twice today who didn't seem to know anything about the Billing Authority Report" mentioned below. They think the VOA should be sorting it. 
The address was registered by streetnamenumbering service in April (they don't have phone number)

I wouldn't care but I need a council tax banding and certificate to apply for CIL exemption.

No-one seems to know what the process is and who is responsible for what. I keep getting fobbed off by people who don't seem to understand what should happen. 

Is this a self build problem? ie relatively unfamiliar?

Any advice?

If you have paid the fee the naming and numbering department should arrange for the address to appear in the national address database (NLPG/NAG),  and the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF). Check your address is in the postcode finder to see if they have done that..

https://m.royalmail.com/mt/www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

When your house is nearly complete the council should send you a "completion notification" which is not to be confused with a "completion certificate". The former comes from the council tax department and is to tell you when they will start charging council tax. The latter is from Building control.

So have you received a "completion notification" yet? If not write to the council tax department telling them the date you expect to complete and ask them to arrange the VOA valuation. 

I would ring the council tax dept at the council and ask. They must know the process surely? Most people seem to have the opposite issue, ie keeping the council tax folk from enforcing council tax before the house is habitable so your issue is fairly unique. I didn’t push for mine to happen but as soon as I asked the building inspector to come and check how near we were to being able to get the completion certificate a council tax banding letter magically appeared. 

Personally I would write to the CIL folk at the council and explain that you are having difficulty getting the council to give you a banding which is required to satisfy the CIL exemption. At least you will have informed them that there is a process issue there. 

I have rung council several times (>4) and after much "let me just put you on hold while I check with a colleague" I get fobbed off and told to contact the VOA.

Ive sent an email CC'd to everyone I can think of who might be vaguely connected with this and things seems to be moving now....

17 hours ago, dnoble said:

Hmmn.  I've called building control (who have issued a completion certificate) several times and they don't seem to know about this

As I said above its the Council Tax department that issue the "completion notification". I would write to them telling them your house is finished and request issue a "Completion Notification under Schedule 4A of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 and Section 17 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and please notify the VOA".

Building Control only do "Completion Certificates", these are two different things for different purposes.

My "completion notification" looked more like a letter. It stated that the Council believed our house would be complete for council tax purposes on <date>.  In fact I disagreed with the date they said and wrote back to tell them the date I thought we would be complete. They sent me a revised  "completion notification". Soon after that we had the VOA valuation.

Then when we had actually finished Building Control gave me their Completion Certificate.

See also..

https://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200028/council-tax/1905/council-tax-new-properties-and-completion-notices