ASHP vs water source

H F

3 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We looked into a water source heat pump

It still amazes me that down here, with most of the population close to the warm Atlantic, water source heat pumps are not used.

At Penzance the open air swimming pool, which is actually built out into the sea, has raised £1.3m to have a borehole drilled and a WSHP filled (yes a water one, not a ground one).

Why they did not just use the ocean, it is huge and no need to drill.

15 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It was slightly different as we have a by wash from the canal and whilst the technology itself may have been an option, the stumbling block for us was the Canal and River Trust. Anything to do with using 'their' water means all sorts of applications, fees and red tape, things like extraction licences etc etc. They weren't the most approachable people.

It is daft that you needed an extraction licence as you were not going to extract any.

That's why if I do anything with the burn in our garden, It will be under the radar.

Who actually owns the water in my burn?  Clearly not me it seems.  I just have temporary custody over it for a few seconds as it passes through.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

It is daft that you needed an extraction licence as you were not going to extract any.

That's why if I do anything with the burn in our garden, It will be under the radar.

Who actually owns the water in my burn?  Clearly not me it seems.  I just have temporary custody over it for a few seconds as it passes through.

We had the same argument re extraction which I think we kind of won but to even look at it further they wanted application fees, work to be done by their own engineers etc and potentially a fee for us using their water to generate energy.  They have contested both our original planning application which was approved, then when we amended it to keep it as a bungalow and applied for PP again a second time they contested it again even though the design was what they said they wanted when they contested the first application ?. Comments received literally on the final day they could have commented both times.

When a builder we are hoping to use mentioned our septic tank and sewage treatment plant and potentially discharging to a watercourse it was another ? moment as I'd already asked this which was a resounding no from CRT.

With the amount of red tape I can see why water source isn't used more. Shame really....