Decent MVHR install video

Good video!

Interesting to see he puts even the 200 mm inlet/exhaust ducting in to the web-joists. I had planned for my build that it would go below the ceiling, boxed in. As his is a single-storey building, I wonder if he using blown-cellulose insulation in among the joists (a cold roof) or whether he has a warm roof with the insulation above the joists. (I am going for a cold roof for my modern bungalow.)

If a cold roof, I wonder if the ducting could compromise the insulation.

If in the heated envelope they need to be lagged, the incoming / outgoing air will chill the pipes more than the building air will heat them and condensation will form on the outside of them - I have one un-insulated filter enclosure and I see condensation on the outside of it on a cold day, it will get lagged soon.

If his pipes are going to get encased in insulation then that might mitigate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Good video!

Interesting to see he puts even the 200 mm inlet/exhaust ducting in to the web-joists. I had planned for my build that it would go below the ceiling, boxed in. As his is a single-storey building, I wonder if he using blown-cellulose insulation in among the joists (a cold roof) or whether he has a warm roof with the insulation above the joists. (I am going for a cold roof for my modern bungalow.)

If a cold roof, I wonder if the ducting could compromise the insulation.

If you look back at all Robins videos I think he shows the build up of his roof, he did a video of installing the roof lanterns, not sure if you have any. 

Robin is part of the skill builder team and does some good carpentry videos. 

31 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

I must have crap taste as well seeing as I've used it on my place.

We all like different things, I have deliberately never put up my floor plans as I know some people wouldn’t like them, so what I’m building it for me not them. 

If you like your lindab gutters then that’s great. I personally don’t it’s not that you have crap taste, just different to me. 

• Like 2

Just got round to watching the video. Something I didn't like was that it was a bit ambiguously worded about taking the heat from the extract air and mixing it with the supply air which might reinforce the misunderstanding some people have that MVHR mixes the actual air flows (not just transfers the heat).

• Like 1

Good video. Missing a bit of detail. Has he worked those plenum heights out to finish bang on ceiling height or cut them pre boarding? Would be a bit of a pig to cut afterwards. How come he's halfway between first and second fix. Ceilings taped and jointed but studs exposed elsewhere. I presume it's also important to cover plenums while plastering and decorating?

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Good video. Missing a bit of detail. Has he worked those plenum heights out to finish bang on ceiling height or cut them pre boarding? Would be a bit of a pig to cut afterwards. How come he's halfway between first and second fix. Ceilings taped and jointed but studs exposed elsewhere. I presume it's also important to cover plenums while plastering and decorating?

Watched the video this morning then watched half a dozen others on YouTube,  different  video but see them cutting the plenum with a multi tool , made it look easy.

Screenshot_20191215-194924_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191215-194915_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Danny68
  • Like 1

I left my plenums proud of the ceiling for boarding and skimming. Should have trimmed them after boarding as the plasterer found them tricky to navigate round, especially when close to the edge of walls in a few rooms. Doesn't really matter as the cowls have a large lip so hide any roughness at the edges.