Rebar bending and cutting

Conor

I mentioned to my architect the other day that I intended on bending and cutting the rebar for the passive raft slab and ICF walls myself.... Thought I was mad!

How easy/difficult is it? And would this kind of tool be any use?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bending-Tool-Rebar-Bender-Round-Bar-GR-1-to-GR-6-all-types-in-one-listing/223373163843?

I just ordered all my rebar and the guy told me bending bars made no difference to the price. They do it all by weight, so I assume the machine (I've seen one in operation only once) does all the cutting and bending in one go. So worth checking with your supplier before you buy that and kill yourself for nothing lol

• Like 1

@Conor

I'm doing this atm. Everyone thinks your mad when you do things yourself. Just a bunch of rich kids IMHO.  It all depends how cheap you get the rebar =if you buy this for full steel stockholders price, they might even include bending as theres a fat healthy profit included in the price. I buy my rebar from scrapyard. Makes a massive difference but they obviously won't bend it for you. I m happy to take a day or two bending and wiring rebar for the sake of 1000£+x. A few here might disagree as they're on architects wages and rather work an hour to earn that kind of money than do some actual work ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

@Conor

I'm doing this atm. Everyone thinks your mad when you do things yourself. Just a bunch of rich kids IMHO.  It all depends how cheap you get the rebar =if you buy this for full steel stockholders price, they might even include bending as theres a fat healthy profit included in the price. I buy my rebar from scrapyard. Makes a massive difference but they obviously won't bend it for you. I m happy to take a day or two bending and wiring rebar for the sake of 1000£+x. A few here might disagree as they're on architects wages and rather work an hour to earn that kind of money than do some actual work ?

I would disagree with this, you said the other day you thought you could bend 60 links in a day, ok cool but at a £1 a link is your day only worth £60 to you. 

Mimimum wage is more than that. 

✌️

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would disagree with this, you said the other day you thought you could bend 60 links in a day, ok cool but at a £1 a link is your day only worth £60 to you. 

Mimimum wage is more than that. 

You're right. But that's not how the calculation goes. Cause I calculate the full package what the final cages cost me vs. Buying them ready made or at least stirrups plus rebar.  The full package is 1500£, the stirrups+rebar is approx 1200£, my rebar so far is 200£all in and I need another day or two to bend the stirrups. I know we never gonna agree on this one ✌️

Not to worry. I just wanted to mention that there is another method than buying rebar ready made. All versions work afaic

Timely topic as I'm doing mine now. I got all my rebar cut and bent for about £580. There is no way in a million years I'd want to bend it myself. There are about 850 rings, then all the long lengths. Whats taking me forever is wiring it up - about 4-5 days so far. Now off to do some more now.

IMG_1688.thumb.JPG.aa875239a0c5d9682bb32043cd998f2a.JPG

• Like 1

On 14/12/2019 at 10:16, Adrian Walker said:

That doesn't look like right to me either...and they don't look evenly spaced.

80mm . The don’t look right because each ring has 2 bars on one side of it, so depending which was you put it on sometimes you get one sometimes two, plus none are exactly the correct size/bend so once fixed to one side in the other side it’s impossible to get them vertically straight. Total pain. Essentially each ring is actually a spiral , you can see better here

59E0A448-595C-4B4C-8FD2-9E3CC4C67848.jpeg

Edited by gc100

Just started with a few testers. IMG_20191217_161501.thumb.jpg.41825d703c1dadcd181c036a610e0402.jpg

Have to take back all my previous statements and apologise to @Russell griffiths

It would have been much easier ordering the pre welded cages as an unexperienced rebar tying labourer. The bending of the stirrups wasn't even that much trouble.(I did approx 40-50/hour) But tying is. But here we go, you learn.

Just putting this out here for others in similar situation to maybe listen.

1 hour ago, redtop said:

we had the cages built for the pile caps, they put a quick spot of weld on each point; apparently quicker than tying if you have the kit?

That's how I did it when I used to work for a company doing this. 

The long bars across 2 trestles. Using chalk measure out the required distance between each ring. Slide the rings on and then just go along and tap tap tap away.  Slide the 2 bottom bars in through the rings and put a spot on each end to hold in place then flip over and tap away till there all welded up. You could do a 6m length cage in 10 mins once you got the hang of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2019 at 15:49, Vijay said:

I just ordered all my rebar

I'm getting quotes in for rebar and looking at £530/t - mind sharing what you managed to get yours for? I tried 3 places and ranged 530 (bent and delivered) to 600. Would be good to know if worth shopping around a bit more.

cheers

46 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

I'm getting quotes in for rebar and looking at £530/t - mind sharing what you managed to get yours for? I tried 3 places and ranged 530 (bent and delivered) to 600. Would be good to know if worth shopping around a bit more.

cheers

what diameter?

Have you tried Hy-ten for a quote? They were the cheapest for me, guys name was David and his number is 0208-940 7578 ext 205   d.newman@hy-ten.co.uk

52 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

cheers

Have you considered bent and fabricated 

i paid £740 tonne 

but that was fully fabricated, only had to tie corners on site, saved hours and hours of work.