Anyone doing their own foundations?

Coops

I was reminded recently when going through old family photos, of the time when I was 14 or 15 digging by hand the foundations for an extension. Had to go over 9ft deep to go underneath storm and foul drains, wrap them in EPS, install more rebar than I care to remember, and then mix and pour all by hand. The BCO said afterwards that we could have built a 5 story block of flats on what we (I) had done.

And all I got was a new stereo !!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did my own foundations, just the digging, the builders did the concrete pour and built up from there.

I marked it all out with a long tape and triangulation, and marked the centreline of each trench and dig to that.  The builders said I would never get it accurate enough.  When they came and surveyed it properly before the pour, they found it to be spot on.

trench_markings_1.thumb.jpg.ce72efad90269b90b3191c2fcf09cf2e.jpg

trenches_1.thumb.jpg.d91f9f05af5279540ef36169c9d2849c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I did my own foundations, just the digging, the builders did the concrete pour and built up from there.

I marked it all out with a long tape and triangulation, and marked the centreline of each trench and dig to that.  The builders said I would never get it accurate enough.  When they came and surveyed it properly before the pour, they found it to be spot on.

trench_markings_1.thumb.jpg.ce72efad90269b90b3191c2fcf09cf2e.jpg

trenches_1.thumb.jpg.d91f9f05af5279540ef36169c9d2849c.jpg

Thanks, pictures are useful.