Should i add stone cladding to house?

plenty of  tasteful stone cladding about,don,t hav to be the coronation street bad taste stuff-but it will be more expensive than render --but maybe a feature wall?

its your house 

i see you will have fyffestone bottom anyway  looking at piccie 

i come from that sort of area and cost of it instead of repointing  was not that expensive  and many of the terraced houses the bricks were getting scabby and faces falling off --

So you can see why it was popular

Edited by scottishjohn

25 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

just wondering if people think i should clad the bit that sticks out at the front where entrance is with some sort of different cladding to make it stand out a bit? or will this be very costly? thanks

New House - Elevations (5).pdf 101.98 kB · 2 downloads

I have it on a few sections of my house. You can get everything from Z style blocks to real stone cut down to 40mm slips and obviously these differ widely in cost.

• Like 1

I was considering stone cladding in a similar way as yourself,  to form the entranceway.  The rest of the house is to be white k rend and larch cladding and sits 4m from a traditional random stone dyke.

I thought this would involve too many different materials in close proximity to each other and be “too much”.  Coincidentally a stranger who was passing my site turned out to be an architect.  He agreed as he felt with self designed houses people often make the mistake of trying to incorporate too many things eg materials features.  

Obviously your site / design will be different and you should do what you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

I was considering stone cladding in a similar way as yourself,  to form the entranceway.  The rest of the house is to be white k rend and larch cladding and sits 4m from a traditional random stone dyke.

I thought this would involve too many different materials in close proximity to each other and be “too much”.  Coincidentally a stranger who was passing my site turned out to be an architect.  He agreed as he felt with self designed houses people often make the mistake of trying to incorporate too many things eg materials features.  

Obviously your site / design will be different and you should do what you want.

so are you not going to bother with the stone cladding now?

We were originally planning on having stone cladding installed, however after seeing the revised plans showing the house without the cladding opted to leave it off. We have white render and some wood cladding - the stone looks good but we felt that it made the exterior look quite busy. Managed to get ourselves a £4k saving from our building contractor - worth getting costed as it can be expensive! Ask your architect to do a mock up showing what it looks like with and without the cladding. 

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

so are you not going to bother with the stone cladding now?

No just sticking with k rend and Siberian larch.  Looking at your house design assuming it’s all rendered personally I would add either stone or timber to that protruding elevation,  or somewhere.  cladding and k tend is similarly priced.  Stone / stone cladding is obviously more expensive.  Have a look at images on pinterest - a good source of ideas / looks.

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

No just sticking with k rend and Siberian larch.  Looking at your house design assuming it’s all rendered personally I would add either stone or timber to that protruding elevation,  or somewhere.  cladding and k tend is similarly priced.  Stone / stone cladding is obviously more expensive.  Have a look at images on pinterest - a good source of ideas / looks.

im on a farm so plenty stone, mabye i could just wash stones from fields and put them on?

9 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

im on a farm so plenty stone, mabye i could just wash stones from fields and put them on?

Yes that feasible but stone rubble walls are very time consuming to build so though material is free I would imagine manpower costs could add up.  Your builder will advise you better.

13 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I can probably sell you some cut granite blocks early next year If you like 

then easy job to do yourself if you can lay bricks 

think there will be lots  from this house .

Kirmabreck House old (4) (1).pdf 458.74 kB · 0 downloads

thanks ill keep this in mind does this detail need to go on my planning application?