Refurb an Expansion Vessel

Stones

I recently found that our potable DHW expansion vessel was full of water.  I swapped it out with a direct replacement and all is now well with our system.

On undertaking an autopsy of the defective expansion vessel, I found that the bladder had failed / split.  Clearly it had been split for some time as the water that came out of the vessel was rust coloured.  Whilst I can easily source a replacement bladder, fit and recharge the vessel to have as an off the shelf spare, I'm wondering whether this is worthwhile or advisable given that there has been some corrosion within the vessel (to produce the rust coloured water)?  The vessel is in otherwise great condition.  Thoughts?

I guess it depends if it makes any financial sense, and do you have a use for it?

If it's going to sit as a spare for 'one day' then by the time you need it the chances are it's life will be limited due to age, and you've got to store it in the meantime. 

Interesting.

I had one that failed, that I kept for years, wanting to so a post mortem, but could find no way to open it to get at the bladder short of cutting it in half with an angle grinder, which would make it rather hard to put back together.

2 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Is there any issue with using a potable vessel (replaceable bladder) on a heating system?

no as they tend to just be epoxy lined steel shells with food grade EDPM bladders. It’s the other way you don’t want to do it. 

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

4 or 6 bolts round the rim 

That's what mine is like, a flange bolted to the body compressing the bladder in position.

29 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just bin the thing. If it went anywhere near prematurely it’s probably down to continuously rubbing against a surface imperfection on the inside of the vessel. 
Move on and don’t waste time / money, they’re just too cheap to buy / replace. ;)  

Fair point.