Concealed door hinges

AliG

Has anyone ever fitted concealed door hinges?

It seems to me that door hinges also end up looking quite rough over time, they get paint on them, the metal discolours etc.

So I am looking at concealed ones, they appear much more expensive to buy, but is there anything else I should be aware of, like are they harder to fit or more likely to break.

One thing I am not sure about is that you can't take a closed door off the hinges. As a kid the WC handle broke and I only got out by explaining to my maybe 10 year old brother how to remove the hinge pins from the other side.

Edited by AliG

Do you mean a 3D hinge like a Tago or CEAM hinge..?

They need to be perfectly accurate and you usually need a routing jig to do them - easy on a door, hard on a frame unless its on the bench. Most need either 3 or 4 on each door depending on weight and they are upwards of £20 each. Last CEAM jig I saw was £230 plus vat...

That's where I was looking. Almost all my doors are fire doors, so I'd need more expensive hinges. Also although two would theoretically be OK, I suspect that you are really looking at three hinges per door.

I reckon you are probably looking at an extra £75ish per door all in. Although I am not sure once you have the jig whether there would be extra fitting time also?

I've used a hinge jig once and it made life very easy - downside was I borrowed it and it was about £300 worth ! It was so quick and easy - used the radiused hinges and all fitted perfectly. 

The other thing with the hidden hinges is that they don't go equidistant - two at the top and one at the bottom from memory for heavier doors.

• 3 years later...

I really do like them and wish I had paid the extra for our front door where I don't like looking at the hinges. I think it was something like £400 there though.

The only thing I notice is that they can sag a little over time and need to be adjusted back to straight. Also the builders have broken the adjuster screws in a couple of them and the there is no way to replace the screw, you have to replace the whole hinge.

Other than that, no squeaks or breaks and I love the clean look. Would definitely go for them again.

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2020 at 08:55, Pete said:

I am using them, yes they are expensive but on my build with no architrave they will look the dogs b_______!!

Just about to ring round prices as I have 15 doors to hang.

Just an update on the concealed hinges. Took some working out to avoid any costly mishaps but got going now. I have used the Ceam hinges and they do feel quality. Just another 40 hinges to do!j

16037119630423394366692783418132.jpg

16037121461405574019450206876097.jpg

• Like 5

On 23/09/2020 at 08:55, Pete said:

I am using them, yes they are expensive but on my build with no architrave they will look the dogs b_______!!

Just about to ring round prices as I have 15 doors to hang.

how are you finishing the board/plaster to the door liners where they meet ?

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Will post some pictures tomorrow because I have had an oops in detailing

I used a shadow gap trim to finish the plasterboard/door casing junction. What I did not allow for is the depth of the concealed hinges and position of them in relation to the shadow gap. It is not a massive error in the grand scheme of things as most of the hinges are on the hidden side of the door. It just means I will have to make an mdf trim, 12mm wide with a rebate underneath to cover the hinge body and when painted will look fine. 

16043100553851421940863432963620.jpg

16043100765073168464009914098863.jpg

16043102413756592171523077600871.jpg