Borehole's (particularly Scottish one's)

SuperJohnG

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

@Jeremy Harris Is the high number of shallow wells/boreholes (0 - 10m) what farmers use for irrigation, rather than for filling toughs?

No, I'm pretty sure they will all be ground investigation holes from when they upgraded that section of the A75 some years ago.  It's quite common to see rows of boreholes along main roads that have been improved over the past 30 to 40 years.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

The BGS website is the most reliable way to find wells/boreholes: http://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/geologyofbritain/home.html

Select the "Borehole Scans" option in the top left and then zoom right in on the map and any that are recorded will show as dots.  Clicking on them will give whatever data the BGS holds.

image.thumb.png.e7034a3ba9bc3deba3c875824e97a328.png

all the ones shown above were done when a75 was realigned and none of the actual water bore holes I know are there are not shown .other than one which I know is a wter bore hole 

4 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

all the ones shown above were done when a75 was realigned and none of the actual water bore holes I know are there are not shown .other than one which I know is a wter bore hole 

Not all of them are associated with the A75.  There are water boreholes at the smokehouse, and a couple near Carsluith, plus a handful up in Creetown.

my problem is that with my house being so close to the quarry and I can see water coming out of the lower quarry walls isuspect there will be none left for me If idrilled a bore hole

Iwill see how thesequarry walls  flow in the summer .

this is why I,m almost convinced only way is to pump it up the hill from the main road --and cost might not be that much different --just more power to get thew 200psi+ i need to lift it to house

1 minute ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Not all of them are associated with the A75.  There are water boreholes at the smokehouse, and a couple near Carsluith, plus a handful up in Castle Cary.

yes I know the smoke house one its 35m --talked to the man who owns it--it has no artesian pressure -so still a pumping job .

Edited by scottishjohn

what ireally need is to find out the pressure inthe main on the A75--if that is 5-7 bar -which isuspect it might be -cos it supplies right along to gatehouse --then that would mean i can have my pump house a lot futhger up the hill --making plumbing and electrics and pump size smaller--all scottish water will say is "we only have to supply 1 bar"

Edited by scottishjohn

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

yes I know the smoke house one its 35m --talked to the man who owns it

The geology looks similar, so I'd guess there's a good chance that you'd hit water at about the same depth.  No problem with any springs draining the aquifer in all probability, as it's almost certainly far deeper than the point where the springs flow from.  Doesn't cost a lot for a hydrogeological survey, I think we paid ~£300.  Might be well worth it if it comes up with a viable alternative.

Just now, Jeremy Harris said:

The geology looks similar, so I'd guess there's a good chance that you'd hit water at about the same depth.  No problem with any springs draining the aquifer in all probability, as it's almost certainly far deeper than the point where the springs flow from.  Doesn't cost a lot for a hydrogeological survey, I think we paid ~£300.  Might be well worth it if it comes up with a viable alternative.

thought of that -- but no one will warranty results as it relies on you hitting a crack in the rocks --cos we know its solid granite and whinstone right to sea level  no gravel or shale layers here 

smoke house hole is along way from the quarry --i,m not much over 10yards from the quarry wall where it is issuing from --admittedly at floor of quarry some 300ft+ below me 

I have water running through the grounds of the house --but it looks like its just a stone culvert bringing csurface water from above 

and i know that nearly dries up in summer and if it is stone culvert and it collapses then I, mback to sqaure one --Isuspect it is coming from the little quarry avoe the plot just to the left -so its reeally surface water again

Edited by scottishjohn

• 7 months later...

For anyone who may come across this topic while searching for information on how to open or construct up a shallow well, the answers are contained in the following (absolutely excellent) book: Hand Dug Wells - and their construction, by S.B. Watt and W.E. Wood, ITDG Publishing.

Some of the content from this book is summarised here: http://www.clean-water-for-laymen.com/spring-development.html

What I would also recommend is NOT to buy the book: Choosing Ecological Water Supply and Treatment by Judith Thornton. It is very weak on practical information (and the author overuses the word 'whilst').

• Like 1

my latest update 

had a water test

It is fine no nasty heavy metals 

I did pay for a water diviner  and i have found a good spot if needed ,If my old supply should prove not enough  ,to make a bore hole 

a Hand dug well  is a non starter on solid granite 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1