Enter the sandman

I had some excess materials left on the site by our brickie. 

A pile of sand that he left in the corner (which I bagged up) and some left over blocks.

My contractor did the work in May and I asked him in writing in August if he could clear any excess material and equipment away. He collected his tools and left the materials. 

Although he supplied the material and when finished the excess is his, how long is it reasonable for him to no longer have a claim over these.  Presumably this can't carry on forever,

He rocked up today whilst I was at work and my wife told him he could take it but it was cheeky to turn up unannounced seven months after finishing the job. In the end he drove away saying you can keep your sand.

9 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

He will have charged you for the materials anyway and he will charge the next customer again. He won't want to transport excess unless you demand he moves it out if the way. 

Yes,  I wasn't looking for left over materials, they were his.

But my site is not a depot for storing materials, certainty not for half a year.  

He was treated well here and paid on time etc. 

14 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Yes,  I wasn't looking for left over materials, they were his.

But my site is not a depot for storing materials, certainty not for half a year.  

He was treated well here and paid on time etc. 

Ahh I see. Then I would advise phoning him back to say you don't want his sand and want it cleared in a reasonable time frame (actually say a number of days otherwise he will ignore it for another 6 months) 

Was there anything in the contract about waste disposal? 

2 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Ahh I see. Then I would advise phoning him back to say you don't want his sand and want it cleared in a reasonable time frame (actually say a number of days otherwise he will ignore it for another 6 months) 

Was there anything in the contract about waste disposal? 

He could have taken it today, but was cranky because we dared to question him about it.

He was politely asked on many occasions and drove by often. But wasn't top of his priorities. In the end back in October I had to barrow the sand into tonne bags so I could get the container away.

No contract, no waste disposal it will now be used somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Where we are contractors feel entitled to fill your £300 skip with old tools, food, crap from other jobs. I hate them all!!!

I don't have a skip here. 

There always hole to fill or scrap wood for burning or for some think else.

Even old nails get recycled.

So far I've taken 10 bin bags to the dump since starting the build.

14 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

how much sand did he leave  ?==its only £30 a ton anyway ---just move it and loose it your garden ,mix with top soil -whatever 

not worth getting up tight about --

I agree not sure what the issue was.

I have a bit more work to do for the drive way so might be useful there.