MVHR on landing

I'm thinking of changing the handedness of my stairs and I thought maybe I could place the MVHR on the landing in a cabinet approx 1.4x0.8. It would need to extend over the stairwell a bit.

Can anyone foresee any problems?

on landing.PNG

do you have a plan for the ducting? are you using radial/manifolds? have you allowed room for a silencer on the supply side? easy access to filters?

I think you might be underestimating how much space a typical MVHR setup takes.

As has already been mentioned don't underestimate how much space is needed for all the "gubbins". It takes a fair degree of planning to keep it tidy in a confined space. 

I think "noise" must be impacted by make/model and system design? I have an Airflow Androit system and it lives in an under eaves space accessed from one of the bedrooms via a simple plain door (no sound proofing, not even a draft seal). The separating stud wall (plasterboard on one side only) has some 50mm celotext between the uprights but that is it. It is completely inaudible with the door shut and isn't even that loud if you're next to it in the eaves itself. The only time you can hear it in the bedroom (or from any of the terminals in each room for that matter) is if its on boost. 

EDIT: I guess I should add that it does have a silencer fitted and all of the inlet and extract pipework I.e. the two to outside the building) are well insulated. 

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 1

Another EDIT ref noise: Thinking about it my radial ducting to/from each room is either a)first floor - buried within the warmcell blown insulation of the vaulted ceilings b)ground floor - burred in rock wool in the ceiling void. 

Perhaps this helps too? 

5 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Another EDIT ref noise: Thinking about it my radial ducting to/from each room is either a)first floor - buried within the warmcell blown insulation of the vaulted ceilings b)ground floor - burred in rock wool in the ceiling void. 

Perhaps this helps too? 

The noise comes from the unit itself in most cases. 
I’m routinely fitting Brink units atm and they’re really well respected ‘in the industry’ as the weapon of choice ( when PH certification levels of quiet are the requisite ). 

Brink do a range of bolt on ( manufacture specific ) silencers now, so I’m going to trial those and see how they compare to the normal / knee-jerk flexible acoustic attenuators in real life. 
Current ones I’m fitting in a high-demand dwelling are the box attenuators which are a metre long !!! Bloody big game of Jenga currently going on in that plant room !

Compare apples with apples here though, as some MVHR units have integral heat pumps for auxiliary heating / cooling, which are noisy if not high - specification units, or standard MVHR units with just heat recovery which are very quiet out of the box.