Choosing a consumer unit

4 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

That sounds really smart Dave ~ Photo please! 

I don't have any pictures of it before it got boxed in unfortunately.  But it was the standard metal case CU (in this case with a plastic front) screwed to the OSB that covers the frame.  The wall was then battened with 45mm battens to make the service void, and then 12mm plasterboard and skim.  That was just about the right depth for the front to go on and makke it look like it was designed all along to be flush mount.

20191209_114153.thumb.jpg.771406126bb90e8a277b321600e0981d.jpg

20191209_114131.thumb.jpg.b12f727c1747b9de0a98c6789dc1e47f.jpg

All the cables exit the top or bottom cable entries and run up or down the wall behind the plasterboard in the service void.  Except for the incomer which is SWA and that enters from the side and is glanded into the metal CU again hidden behind the plasterboard now.

I did have to be accurate cutting the plasterboard as not being a proper flush mounting CU there was no flange to cover any imperfections in cutting the hole.

I bought all the rcbo's from ebay and I didn't pay more that £10 each but you can't always do that if you are in a hurry.  I bought them over a period of time when they came up.  The CU was fitted as soon as the house had a roof so I have plenty of time to populate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Can all these CUs take a breaker that is large enough for an EV charging point, or will that still require a separate unit.

Hager do up to 63A mcb's,   I have used one to feed a moster electric boiler.

What I like to do when fitting something so big, is over size the CU so you can fit the big one with an empty space either side of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What I like to do when fitting something so big, is over size the CU so you can fit the big one with an empty space either side of it.

For heat dissipation ?

Do I recall you doubling up on bus bars one time, church hall job?

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

For heat dissipation ?

Do I recall you doubling up on bus bars one time, church hall job?

That was a West Coast job I did using an SBS CU.  I had to replace 2 small CU's and relocate them.  The small one had been fitted as an extra for the big electric boiler and had burned out.

The SBS board had a 50A RCBO (not compact) for the boiler and was fitted with a vacant space either side.  And Dave sourced a neutral bar that had 2 screws per termination for that board.

I don't think it is the busbars that are the issue it's the standards of some of the switchgear.  I fitted a Wylex CU a week or so back and note they now have main switches with 2 screws on the incoming terminals (it is a while since I have fitted a Wylex)

But if you have one big load, I would still strongly lean towards splitting the tails with Henley blocks and having a separate small CU for the big load.

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No. Part M says 1350-1450mm to the centre line of the switches (even for wheelchair users). 

p22 & p49:

BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3 (1).pdf 1.66 MB · 1 download

That's odd.  I will have to see what the Scottish regs say.  It would be strange to have it that high. What is the logic in saying a light switch can be no more than 1200mm high, then insisting the consumer unit has to be higher?

I installed mine above the utility room worktop, but below the utility room wall cupboards.  If I had to put it a minimum of 1350mm to the centreline of the mcb's, then I would have had to cut a dirty great big notch out of the bottom of the wall unit for the consumer unit to intrude into.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That's odd.  I will have to see what the Scottish regs say.  It would be strange to have it that high. What is the logic in saying a light switch can be no more than 1200mm high, then insisting the consumer unit has to be higher?

I installed mine above the utility room worktop, but below the utility room wall cupboards.  If I had to put it a minimum of 1350mm to the centreline of the mcb's, then I would have had to cut a dirty great big notch out of the bottom of the wall unit for the consumer unit to intrude into.

I agree but I don't write the regs.

I half recall it comes from BEMA to place the cu out of reach of children and avoid them messing with it. 

Pity the poor wheelchair user who wants to reset an rcd etc. Especially when other controls are recommended lower (see page 49) than 1200mm. 

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

No. Part M says 1350-1450mm to the centre line of the switches (even for wheelchair users). 

Does this apply to an existing doc that is renovated with 100% rewire?

I've heard conflicting views on it for sockets & light switches, but thought I might as well comply there anyway.  But this one maybe trickier (especially for "consumer unit" that is 4 rows tall and contains all the home automation gear too) so interested if I'm bound to it.

(I tried to read the doc but couldn't decipher the answer)

• 6 months later...
On 09/12/2019 at 09:05, PeterW said:

You can get a 40A RCBO in any of the boards but from memory, a conversation with @Jeremy Harris advised against that due to the constant current draw over a significant period of time. 

Just about to get a consumer unit for the garage and wondered what you mean by this post? Are you saying to get a larger size than 40A if you are going to charge electric vehicles/ TIA 

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just about to get a consumer unit for the garage and wondered what you mean by this post? Are you saying to get a larger size than 40A if you are going to charge electric vehicles/ TIA 

Yes they recommend a sub board dedicated to the car charger

• Thanks 1