Fitting a bath

Sounds doable, is that 1805mm a constant? Presume you'll have to slide the bath in. Where you side it from needs to be 1805mm too. Tile down onto the bath etc.

Mind your fingers!

What are the walls, pb?

@Thedreamer tangentially related to your question, when I was visiting another BuildHuber further along then me, on the subject of bath sizes I was told that 1.7 m is ideal length. 

I suppose it is subject to personal preference and perhaps you are taller than average but have you considered that a 1.7 m bath might be ideal for you and yours?

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sounds doable, is that 1805mm a constant? Presume you'll have to slide the bath in. Where you side it from needs to be 1805mm too. Tile down onto the bath etc.

Mind your fingers!

What are the walls, pb?

Thanks @Onoff 

Yes, it's a constant 1805mm, but no huge amount of manoeuvring space (the length of the room is 2350mm)

And plasterboard on the wall.

Would prefer to get a snug fit and do away with having to build a bit up if we went with a 1750mm.

3 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

@Thedreamer tangentially related to your question, when I was visiting another BuildHuber further along then me, on the subject of bath sizes I was told that 1.7 m is ideal length. 

I suppose it is subject to personal preference and perhaps you are taller than average but have you considered that a 1.7 m bath might be ideal for you and yours?

Thanks @Dreadnaught, yes we are taller than average family (I'm 6'3 and my wife is 6'), so 1800mm would be better.

• Like 1

Just now, Thedreamer said:

Thanks @Onoff 

Yes, it's a constant 1805mm, but no huge amount of manoeuvring space (the length of the room is 2350mm)

And plasterboard on the wall.

Would prefer to get a snug fit and do away with having to build a bit up if we went with a 1750mm.

Why not cut a template 1800 long by Xmm wide and see how easy it is to get in. Presume the 1800 is a constant up the height of the walls and that the room is dead square.

Worst case you cut a bit of a slot into the pb and fill over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Why not cut a template 1800 long by Xmm wide and see how easy it is to get in. Presume the 1800 is a constant up the height of the walls and that the room is dead square.

Worst case you cut a bit of a slot into the pb and fill over. 

Yes might need to do this but will need some good thick cardboard.

The room is 1805mm by 2350mm.

Snap, on the PB slot.

Good advice from the buildhub's most experience bathroom guru ?

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If things are that tight maybe look to skate it in on 5 little castors, one on each foot. If it needs to go in/come back out a few times. Might save a lot of cursing!

Taps at the end?

Yes that is a good tip on the wheels.

Yes taps on the end and shower above that.

2 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

That's a steal.

Yes and no. They are hardwired rather that the wire to light is a connector. Shouldn't be too bad to replace around the bath as I have conduits that exit outside the bathroom in an accessible cupboard so I can just pull through. In the loft though...work in progress. 

20180610_102217

20180610_102202

11 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Length wise we are 1805mm, is it going to be impossible to fit a 1800mm bath?

Our bath is 1700mm and because the venetian plaster ended up thicker than anticipated we had only 3mm leeway and it was very tight.

Q1010006.thumb.JPG.a18015524f51b81a7310dc4671e62b7c.JPG

• Like 1

If you chop it in, do the opposite end to the taps, nothing worse than the tap heads clattering the tiles, like my sister's do. ?

Not do much of an issue with modern 1/4 turn taps.

Oh and lifting one end of the bath toward  diagonal is usually the way to get them in, assuming it's not got fixed parallel ends.

Edited by JFDIY
  • Like 2

Ideally measure a bath in show room. Sometimes the dimensions aren't very accurate at all.

Sorry if this is sucking eggs time but... rigidity of mounting makes any sealer last a lot longer. eg beef up the floor if its chipboard, build a decent frame/fix batten to wall to support edges etc.