Glue / Silicone / Foam Airtightness for Timber/OSB

Oz07

I'm stealing @joe90 's method of making the roof airtight except doing it at ceiling level.

Going to do whole ceiling with OSB then counter batten with some 2x2 for services

All around perimeter where ceiling meets blockwork I will fix 2x2 with 10mm gap as OSB then fill with some foam i've already bought. Supposed to be airtight and elastic - https://www.illbruck.com/en_GB/product/fm330-pro-foam-air-seal/

On all the long joints of the boards i'll be gluing and screwing 2x2 through to the rafters. Short joints also laminated with offcut strips of the OSB. 

What is best to glue this? Obviously the timber and OSB aren't going to meet perfectly. I could use expanding D4 glue - but is this elastic? Will the seal eventually break? I could use some kind of silicone or sealant if better? What would be recommended? I did think about foam (i've heard people use it to stick skirting) but doesn't it need to have a minimum thickness to be elastic?

Cheers

As your knicking my idea ?? I used d4 expanding glue, it’s been there about a year and no sign of deterioration. Tip, I lightly sprayed one surface with water (plant mister) and this makes the glue “bubbly” more.

6 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I'm stealing @joe90 's method of making the roof airtight except doing it at ceiling level.

Going to do whole ceiling with OSB then counter batten with some 2x2 for services

All around perimeter where ceiling meets blockwork I will fix 2x2 with 10mm gap as OSB then fill with some foam i've already bought. Supposed to be airtight and elastic - https://www.illbruck.com/en_GB/product/fm330-pro-foam-air-seal/

On all the long joints of the boards i'll be gluing and screwing 2x2 through to the rafters. Short joints also laminated with offcut strips of the OSB. 

What is best to glue this? Obviously the timber and OSB aren't going to meet perfectly. I could use expanding D4 glue - but is this elastic? Will the seal eventually break? I could use some kind of silicone or sealant if better? What would be recommended? I did think about foam (i've heard people use it to stick skirting) but doesn't it need to have a minimum thickness to be elastic?

Cheers

I’m curious why osb Its not airtight 

Or is it for Something else 

I do a lot of airtightness and fire protection in my job 

and normally run a bead of gyproc sealant around the perimeter and use a visqueen membrane across the ceiling leaping down at the edges Then shot fire 25 mil angle around the perimeter trapping the membrane on top of the sealant 

13 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I could use expanding D4 glue - but is this elastic

No.

13 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Will the seal eventually break

Yes

13 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I could use some kind of silicone

Does not stick to timber that well, it also shrinks over time.

6 hours ago, nod said:

Then shot fire 25 mil angle around the perimeter trapping the membrane on top of the sealant

This is probably the best, long term, method.

There was a long thread on another forum about OSB and airtightness, the upshot was ordinary OSB was not completely airtight but it was vapour permeable, some talked about coating the OSB to make it completely airtight, some didn’t.

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

He's saying why use osb. I'm thinking if it's good enough for @joe90 it's good enough for me I'm not trying to beat the world

Just trying to help

OSB isn’t airtight 

You could put a membrane in at a fraction of the the cost and time 

11 minutes ago, nod said:

You will need tape etc to seal it up and that’s not cheap. Personally I don’t like membranes and sticky tape even less. As per above, I know OSB is not airtight (unless you coat/paint it) but my airtest was pretty good. I also liked the OSB to give racking strength to the roof.

18 minutes ago, nod said:

Just trying to help

OSB isn’t airtight 

Appreciated nod what are u paying for the membrane? I prices it up the osb is near on 3 quid a m2. By the time you buy membrane and tape was coming out more expensive and I think fiddly/harder to Do. Like I say not trying to achieve and super performance just enough to make the mvhr worthwhile

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2019 at 09:19, MikeGrahamT21 said:

FM330 is brilliant stuff!

How much better is FM330 compared to a similar gun grade low ex foam for airtightness?

Is it correct to assume that other foams are just as air tight but the FM330 has the flexibility so will stay airtight over a longer period.

Comparing the datasheets for different brands isn't much help as they don't have common parameters

10 hours ago, willbish said:

How much better is FM330 compared to a similar gun grade low ex foam for airtightness?

Is it correct to assume that other foams are just as air tight but the FM330 has the flexibility so will stay airtight over a longer period.

Comparing the datasheets for different brands isn't much help as they don't have common parameters

Its like a totally different product compared with normal low expansion foam, doesn't set completely hard, and remains very flexible with a high bond strength to the substrates. You discover just how strong when you try and remove it from somewhere you didn't want it to be. Normal expansion foam isn't airtight, and you tend to get a micro crack in the bond at some point.