UFH Biocide

wozza

Hi All,

What do you use (or recommend) to use in a UFH / Radiator system with regards to inhibitors and Biocides.

We previously had Fernox F1 in the Radiator system, but now that its a combined UFH / Radiator system should I use something else?

Thanks, Wozza.

I was on the phone yesterday to Fernox confirming compatibility of their various products in our UFH (no radiator) system.  The chap I spoke to recommended (assuming your satisfied that antifreeze levels are sufficient), dose with F1 inhibitor and F7 biocide.  Why not phone their technical team direct?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Stones said:

I was on the phone yesterday to Fernox confirming compatibility of their various products in our UFH (no radiator) system.  The chap I spoke to recommended (assuming your satisfied that antifreeze levels are sufficient), dose with F1 inhibitor and F7 biocide.  Why not phone their technical team direct?

I have emailed Fernox Tech. - Just got the reply which says only to use F1 Inhibitor in a combined UFH / Radiator system as the higher temps will kill off any bacteria.

• 3 years later...

I am puzzling over biocides for my central heating system.

My system will be UFH and a ASHP, brand-new plastic pipes and with no radiators. 

Its a low temperature-system and so might be prone to bacterial growth and biofilm formation.

But on the other hand, tap water contains chlorine.

Reading the Vaillant manual for my UniTower (an all-in-one UVC) it says: "Do not use any unsuitable antifreeze and corrosion inhibitors, biocides or sealants". And then does not list any biocides on its approved list.

So should a biocide be added to an UFH system or not I wonder? What have others done?