Are Dumb Waiters Dumb?

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:
48 minutes ago, Triassic said:

My father, in later life, was head of maintenance at a public school. He once sent to apprentice over to the kitchens, as they had an issue with the Dumb Waiter. On arrival  he asked, which one of you is the Dump Waiter? He never lived it down!

That's up there with sending the apprentice to stores for a Long Weight.

Or Tartan paint.

15 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Here is ours.  The motor is housed above hence the access door.  As with all lifts they take up a fair amount of space v. their capacity.

image.png.1157853c8139673b99ee115c45a900f9.png

motor?? 

seems a bit of overkill for that  size of thing 

all the ones i have used just had sash widow cord ropes and couter wieghts,

so all you lift is the  weight of what you put in it  

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Here is ours.  The motor is housed above hence the access door.  As with all lifts they take up a fair amount of space v. their capacity.

image.png.1157853c8139673b99ee115c45a900f9.pngA

Appropriate in a tall, expensive house, perhaps if roof terrace or balcony eating is a use case. And iirc you are building these.

I find that the thing that worries me is taking eg furniture upstairs, for which spending 16-18k on a wheelchair lift would be a more reasonable investment. The last time I felt vulnerable was taking the carcass of a filing cabinet upstairs, and feeling that the Centre of Mass might move outside the step I was standing on. 

I have a location where I can fit one, but it would involve expending the utility into the back of the (24ft) garage.

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

No a lift car (probably just a skeleton of) that has a floor stepped, to match the steps of the stair, and it drops down onto the bottom 3 steps of the staircase.

Yes whacky idea, but would mean a lift could fit anywhere.

Also it blocks you stairs when it breaks down at the bottom. Could be designed out.

10 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Just put up with a load of crap at each end of the stairs (everyone has it ?), count down the years 'till the kids move out and invest the cost in a holiday!

Dangerous. I have a relative who slipped down 3 stairs after a trip on this type of stuff, landed on and shattered one ankle, had several months off work, and now triggers security scanners at airports.

How do we manage this? Not easy - the best I have is a straight staircase where things can be put under the banister line, and a "dumping chair" at the bottom. Perhaps built-in shelves?

Ideas?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

motor?? 

seems a bit of overkill for that  size of thing 

all the ones i have used just had sash widow cord ropes and couter wieghts,

so all you lift is the  weight of what you put in it  

It needs to be motorised and controlled.  The pulley type lifts are only good for 1 storey and this one travels 3 storeys.  Also it has a load capacity of 50kg.

9 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

image.png.1157853c8139673b99ee115c45a900f9.png

Looks fancy ;) How often do you use it, and for what?

57 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Looks fancy ;) How often do you use it, and for what?

Groceries up, bins down.  Also I use it for tools and materials if I am working on upper floors.  It is surprising how much stuff you need even when doing a fairly simple job.