New Hampshire Home

Traceygj

Hello everyone

Having spent time reading through the site I'm so pleased to have found such a helpful and encouraging bunch of people to share our self build journey with.

A little about us: 

We purchased a 1960's built bungalow back in May which we intend to demolish and replace with a 4 bedroom,  2 storey house.  Although there are only 2 of us as the kids have left home, we want plenty of space for them to come and stay.  We sold our family home last December to fund the project and are currently renting.    After spending the last few months jumping through planning hoops we expect a decision in the first week of January.  Planning was complicated by something called H16, which meant that we could only extend the bungalow by half as much again.  We've managed to get around that by obtaining a Certificate of Lawfulness to extend the bungalow using permitted development rights.  We put in a pre app and the planners didn't have any objections to the design, they just advised us to get the CoL, so hopefully they will issue us with green light at the beginning of Jan!

Very early on in the process we've found that nothing is straight forward!  We have asbestos soffits (the bad stuff) and a pesky electric supply cable oversailing the front garden which needs to be relocated.  The plan is that I will project manage the build while my better half continues working, although he's gradually easing into retirement with a 4 day week from Jan and then a 4 day fortnight from March.  I'm not entirely convinced about his ability to take instruction though.  I've already had insubordination from him on a couple of matters!  We have some experience of internally gutting and refitting our last house, plus having a new garage and porch built but nothing on this scale.

We decided on Potton for our timber frame, mainly on the basis of their good reputation and the hand holding they provide (we hope!) during the project.  Dealings with them so far have been excellent.

As mentioned above, we're renting so keen to crack on, and hope to be completed within a year!  We're also keen to get the best possible value for money, so the benefit of other people's experience will be most welcome.

I've posted photo's of the bungalow and what we plan to build below, and I'm sure I will be on this forum with numerous questions and calls for help as we progress.

0?ui=2&ik=1f1cf5ed66&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1651998618947171529&th=16ed13fdc3c834c9&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ85hP14mjUqVQpZM45X88e3wbj60kibkQjie_DbLuV40co7RFPwVrcdLaTzua3qxKJRXVWVPPjbpzKfPLx0ZKyYJE7eHztvh9uAH0rcCGZcwBhbVxdUjlbhOl0&disp=emb

0?ui=2&ik=1f1cf5ed66&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1651998618947171529&th=16ed13fdc3c834c9&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9YZXXC_Rr2zVEggSBTlXx-4uCK1hTXWl_orqc7kJU1_Nw86zbLx-Vf26Lgo8HXDvmROgtPtz35xyhp4Ch3kxdUSetF5ruptHUSOYxVPivdIdfi6mc9yjEAQg8&disp=emb

image.png.419690dc0614ebde577ec3ac2da34322.png

FDF4B4B1-7CB2-4433-B1E5-4040501CFF15.jpeg

8E5CCB77-4205-43F2-BE5A-AD580769A20A.jpeg

Edited by Traceygj

Welcome Tracey. 

House looks good. 

Post the floor plans if you want and the many eyes here can have a look and see if there are any potential issues they can see or any improvements that can be made. It's a lot cheaper to change things now with a pencil than later on with a hammer and saw.

43 minutes ago, Traceygj said:

[...]

We're also keen to get the best possible value for money, so the benefit of other people's experience will be most welcome.

[...]

Welcome,

I stopped bothering to calculate how much the combined advice of this forum has saved us when I got to £22000 ... and as for saving my sanity, well some say that's  a lost cause. But simply knowing that to every single self-build problem,  there's probably answer on BH is very reassuring. 

Welcome indeed.

2 minutes ago, Traceygj said:

Thank you for the welcome.

We're building in East Hampshire, not far from Alton. Currently living just outside Basingstoke which is about 12 miles away.

I used to work in Basingstoke, travelling up and down from Fareham via Alton every day. Love the A32/Meon Valley. Drove the same route recently for the first time in years and was amazed at all the houses being built where the deer farm used to be but still a lovely area.

2 hours ago, Traceygj said:

Thank you for the welcome.

We're building in East Hampshire, not far from Alton. Currently living just outside Basingstoke which is about 12 miles away.

We're just up the road from you (south side of Farnborough). The scenery along the A31 is pleasant all the way from Guildford, but it really gets stunning once you get to Bentley and beyond...

2 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

an and then a 4 day fortnight from March.  I'm not entirely convinced about his ability to take instruction though.  I've already had insubordination from him on a couple of matters????? you need to get him in line!

I’m working hard on get him trained !?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

We're just up the road from you (south side of Farnborough). The scenery along the A31 is pleasant all the way from Guildford, but it really gets stunning once you get to Bentley and beyond...

Oh, not far at all. The countryside is the main draw for us, although I expect there won’t be a lot of time for  exploring next year !

• Like 1

Welcome

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Think you might be our first American member?

When I saw New Hampshire Home I had a vision of a shack with a huge woodpile next to it, as a status symbol.

10 hours ago, Traceygj said:

Garden is north east. 

So is mine.  When you find out what will grow nicely in it, let me know.