Planning Asking for Extension

AliMcLeod

I've applied for our planning to be "renewed" (actually a new application). Some background here:

I've today received this from the planning department:

Further to my previous emails regarding the above, I can confirm that I have now finalised my report of handling for the above application, however, it has came to my attention that Network Rail and The Coal Authority have not been consulted on this application.  Schedule 5 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 2013 (available to view online at www.legislation.gov.uk) advises that “the planning authority must before determining an application for planning permission for development consult” the relevant person, authority or body specified within Schedule 5.

The site is within a Coal Mining High Risk area and within the 10 metre consultation buffer zone of the railway line to the north, therefore, Network Rail and The Coal Authority must be consulted before a decision can be issued.  I have now processed these consultations and I have also contacted both organisation to request a speedy response as this application is for a renewal of a previously approved application.

I apologise that this was not carried out at the start of the process, however, the Council’s Gateway Team unfortunately missed these consultations when validating the application and I did not pick up on this until now. 

Could you please, therefore, agree a time extension to the determination of this application to <date redacted - 3 weeks after current deadline which is not far off> to allow time for the consultation responses to be received and the comments included within my report of handling, however, I will be able to issue the decision as soon as their responses are received.

I'm torn on this - I minded to agree since its not impacting us and it might produce a smoother path to getting approval. This is basically the same application that was previously approved.

However, I'm loathe just to let planning away with such a basic error. But, I know they're under-resourced.

Can anyone think of any other things I should consider when deciding why I should, or should not, agree to the extension?

Edited by AliMcLeod

2 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

How long are you into the process since validation? are you anywhere near the 26 weeks where the planning guarantee kicks in?

Nowhere near; it was validated on the online portal in the middle of October, so its not an extensive delay.

Edited by AliMcLeod

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

One further note wrt to requested solar panel brochures etc.

If concerned you could include "illustrative" to describe the brochures, somewhere.

Thanks, that's exactly what I did in my covering email:

Please find attached my response for the Low Carbon Checklist, along with a sample brochure for Solar Panels.

Didn't stop the sample brochure being uploaded to the portal alongside my email though.

Edited by AliMcLeod

19 hours ago, Sensus said:

In practice, there is seldom any benefit in declining the extension of time, beyond shear bloody-mindedness.

Agreed, that's where I ended up yesterday and responded with a very basic "that's disappointing by I'm ok with the extension" note.