Reels of cable

So ; I’ve got some solid core cat6 cable .

As it comes off the boxed reel it seems to ‘snag’ inside and I get this in the cable .

Is this nothing to worry about ? I.e cable unlikely to be damaged ?

Plan to get a few through then wire them up to test .....

501E0A21-1F70-46CE-A0BB-62FDF8E38ED8.jpeg

12 minutes ago, christianbeccy said:

I'm not particularly a network cable expert, but I'd be worried about that. Especially if the cables are being installed where they can't easily be replaced.

I tend not to dispense cables from their boxes for this reason.

What should I do ? . Break the box open and unwind manually ??? 

18 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you must be taking from inside of roll

you sure there is not a way to take it off outside and let the roll turn inside box

?last one i had it came through side of box and it unrolled itself 

Yeah that’s what I’m doing . Side of box and unrolls ( until it kinks ) roughly every 5 or 6 metres .

18 minutes ago, christianbeccy said:

That's what I would do personally. I know some will think that's unnecessary, but...

Supplier seems surprised and wants more photos . So expecting a refund . Bought a reel of stranded from them also - will pull out 20 metres from the roll and look at that .

Could be down to a faulty packing batch. I've gone through quite a few boxes of the stuff from different suppliers and its quite rare to have it kink like that. Should be fine along as your pulling it from the correct hole.

Take it from the wrong place and it just becomes a tangled/kinked mess. Same applies for opening the box and trying to sort it out as their often 305m boxes, its worse than sorting out the Christmas lights.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Could be down to a faulty packing batch. I've gone through quite a few boxes of the stuff from different suppliers and its quite rare to have it kink like that. Should be fine along as your pulling it from the correct hole.

Take it from the wrong place and it just becomes a tangled/kinked mess. Same applies for opening the box and trying to sort it out as their often 305m boxes, its worse than sorting out the Christmas lights.

Supplier accepts its faulty . Wants me to post back the 300m roll - postage will be ridiculous- but they said they would cover cost of that . So I pulled out 30m from the stranded box - same supplier but different brand no issues . I think after this experience I will pull the length I need off the roll then install ; will cause more wastage - but I don’t trust any rolled cable now ! 
As I’m back in the market for solid core cat6 any recommendations??  

24 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Only 1 hole - so I got that right !

• Haha 2

I recommend Excel cabling as well. 

Seems to have been "problem free" in the past.......or it may just be the the problems are insignificant in comparison to the other problems you encounter when you have to feed it around a building. 

Make sure you test your connections once you've done them. For £10 you can buy a tester and its incredibly useful. Most often problem is down to  not punching the patch panel properly. You can just press it down a second/third time to fully terminate it. But its a bugger to do once the panel is full and in a small cabinet. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

viewing your picture again it looks like the stuff that kinked is a flat cable --not round --maybe its more prone to kinks 

Nah it's round .Just how the photo makes it look. Here's another picture

IMG_0402.jpg

2 minutes ago, phatboy said:

Hope you chose a nice colour!

Just the 1 roll?!

Lol. I remember with my hep2o pipe - I thought 200m would be enough. Ended up 600m

I *think* 300m will be enough for the solid core on 1 floor 

I need some CAT5 for the outside CCTV cameras, can anyone advises which type (specification) of cable I need? Only a few 10s of mm will be outside in the sun, the rest will be hidden inside under the floor.

Edited by Triassic