rewiring the solid wall bungalow

Raks

Planning the rewiring of a single storey bungalow. All internal walls are solid as well. No floorboard in the loft but just loose rockwool insulation.

I would like to put 47mm  metal back boxes, is it ok to use 20mm pvc conduits to bury into walls? (hope no cracks  over chasing later!)?

All conduits will be straight up to loft. Even the two socket on the same wall will have straight conduits for each. If these sockets would be on  the same ring, the cable have to go up to the loft and then down to the next socket. 

(maybe  few exception like the two sockets next to each other over the kitchen counter) 

Is it good enough for the electricians like this and  can do all the wiring later? 

(the reason I am doing this way is, I may add some home-automation cabling if/when necessary)

If you neatly cut all the boxes into the wall and chase between them then fit conduit then rewiring is easy. (Could even do in singles). 

Be careful on the depth of the boxes on the internal walls, you might be drifting into Part A if the walls are thin. Go EASY cutting the boxes!

What are the walls made of? Brick, breeze, lightweight block etc?

No need to to go up from a socket, into the loft, along and back down.

Just come down to the first socket then go horizontal between sockets. Less cable required. 

A wall chaser is easy but can be VERY dusty without proper extraction kit.

Google "NICEIC safe zone diagram" look for the diagram top right. Keep switches, sockets, in the "zones".

Screenshot_20191204-055725_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5b662639d34f2aa1ca60fff3382b694f.jpg

Lots of info too on that sparkyfacts link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What are the walls made of? Brick, breeze, lightweight block etc?

Its late 1930s bungalow, I haven't break any rendering yet, its quite solid hard rendering but probably bricks. 

One of the wall is about 11-12 the others about 14-15cm thick.

I will check the regulations regarding to the isolators for electric shower and cooker if there are certain distance or level restrictions to place. 

I need a good electic wall chaser with dust extractor and maybe a backbox chaser as well. (any recommendation?)

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

if it were me I'd just chase and then fit galvanised capping, as it doesn't need such a deep slot in the walls.  Probably cheaper, too, plus plaster sticks well to capping, and doesn't stick at all well to PVC.

That was my concern with PVC conduits as well. Probably galvanised ones are heavy in fixing and price as well.

If I would like to add a cable later on, is it easy and safe to pull a new cable into chased/capped  channel? 

47 minutes ago, Raks said:

That was my concern with PVC conduits as well. Probably galvanised ones are heavy in fixing and price as well.

If I would like to add a cable later on, is it easy and safe to pull a new cable into chased/capped  channel? 

Not at all easy to pull a new cable behind capping, but can be done with care, if it's a straight run.   Chased and capped is pretty much the universal way to fit cables into brick/block walls, and if you think you may need extra cables in future, then why not put some spares in, and leave them coiled up in accessible locations?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

This is my socket box cutter, sure I paid a lot less but it was years ago. YouTube it for videos in use.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-ebs-back-box-wall-chasing-installation-kit-7-pcs/67733?

I'm about to lend that and the chaser(s) to a mate, will take pics before I do.

Crikey they have gone up in price since I bought my set 15+ years ago! ? 

Absolutely cracking bit of kit though and a massive time saver! 

Edited by Barney12
typo