Balcony & Bridge

EverHopefull

Hi, having more or less settled on the dimensions and layout of our TF build and spoken to a few suppliers now we have without exception run into the thorny subject of the desire to have a glazed balcony that will be the length of the first floor, about 13m x 1.5m that cannot be easily an extended joist or steel situation, due to thermal bridge nightmares. Anyone used a balcony manufacturer in the past? 

We also have a need for a bridge from the drive to the entrance door, also on first floor, approx 2.5m x 2m wide. This could be possibly made from timber I guess. Anyone had a bridged entry with any advice or pointers? 

That is a proposed solution, just needs securing to the house itself, not affecting the thermal envelope. Are there pure balcony manufacturers, not found any yet. Bridge could be same but on smaller scale. I have seen juliet balconies on large developments but nothing the size required.... 

I post this as an example https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=43140655&sale=20127745&country=scotland

That is actually a block of low rise flats, with a galvanised balcony forming the access platform for the upper floor flats, but it sounds like the sort of thing you are looking for.  Bolted to the building at one side and standing on steel posts at the outer edge.

I am sure you could make something that a looks nicer and less utilitarian.

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I post this as an example https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=43140655&sale=20127745&country=scotland

That is actually a block of low rise flats, with a galvanised balcony forming the access platform for the upper floor flats, but it sounds like the sort of thing you are looking for.  Bolted to the building at one side and standing on steel posts at the outer edge.

Yes, something along those lines. Flooring to run at same appearance from interior to balcony, with glazed frame less type bulustrade. 

I think I prefer almost to keep the balcony and entrance bridge as separate structures to keep a near passive house as uncompromised as possible.?

19 minutes ago, Sensus said:

There are ways of detailing to overcome that. Just needs a little thought and experience.

TF company had done similar in the past but explained extra costs and isolating gaskets etc for steel beams and not perfect solution to maintain the thermal max spec. I guess with unlimited budget anything is possible 

While aesthetics and design are often make or break things in a house I have to admit that the implications of the passive house and the ongoing savings in the future and comfort living have grabbed the top position of our wish list. 

I could not live with an eyesore bolted onto the finished house but hopefully can source a suitably stunning compromise.... 

We're going to be having this exact same discussion very soon - have a balcony which is half (1m) sat on top of the ground floor and half cantilevered over it. Finalising our redesign just now and will be getting drawings over to the kit company later this week but when we first discussed it they were of the view that they'd find a solution pretty easily once their SE had a look at it. Sensus's post above is fairly indicative of their response to it which was more or less 'aye, but so what?'

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

You'd rather deal with the consequences than live with that!