Complete U turn from approved design

Coops

Folks...

I very recently bought a plot with full PP for a perfectly nice oak framed house, the problem is it's someone else's interpretation of nice and not my dream. I would very much like to change the design to a more contemporary and simpler clean lines design, optimised to suit contemporary timber frame...is this doable??. If I go for a complete re-application it will be the third in four years..The plot is in the conservation area of a village in North Herefordshire. Any similar experiences out there?

We did much the same.  Bought a plot with consent for a stone-clad bungalow, put in a new application for a timber-clad 1 1/2 storey house.  We're in a conservation area, opposite a listed building and our planning application was the 7th one for the plot.  Took a bit of negotiating for some features, but we got PP first time around in the end, with no objections.  I found this a bit surprising, as the previous application for our plot had attracted 14 objections, all of which were read out by the chairman of the Parish Council when they considered it at their meeting.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

We did much the same.  Bought a plot with consent for a stone-clad bungalow, put in a new application for a timber-clad 1 1/2 storey house.  We're in a conservation area, opposite a listed building and our planning application was the 7th one for the plot.  Took a bit of negotiating for some features, but we got PP first time around in the end, with no objections.  I found this a bit surprising, as the previous application for our plot had attracted 14 objections, all of which were read out by the chairman of the Parish Council when they considered it at their meeting.

Wow 7 applications! that's good going 

We're not in a conservation area but it's a very rural location. The plot came with PP for a traditional Edwardian style 1.5 storey house. Had a chat with the planning officer, who said that he greatly disliked pastiche design, prior to putting in for our completely different contemporary design. It passed first time with minimal conditions.

Don't assume that because all around is old and traditional that the planners want more of the same.

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2019 at 20:32, puntloos said:

How does one 'chat to planning officers'? You probably shouldn't track down where they live ;) - are there actually office hours? Varies by location I guess?

I'm Scotland...there is always a DPO (duty planning officer) available during office hours. That's their job during their allocated time period and they rotate it half a day each. They answers queries and provide advice to people like us...they have been extremely helpful with me in the past.  

I dont believe planning officers are big scary people.. I do believe people who apply for planning sometimes just dont read the guidelines or have been unable to communicate their vision well enough.

Call your DPO..have a chat. They are just normal people who like building :-)

• Like 1