Lamp fitting

H F

One our lamps fell to the ground courtesy of our kitten. I purchased a replacement connector today but there doesn’t seem to be a screw to connect the wires to it. Our old one had screws.

Am I missing something?

10CE985C-899D-4F9E-9FF7-616FA8447540.jpeg

7C165922-780C-427E-B890-82E6520BEE4A.jpeg

15539670-1B59-402D-9E02-CF42B2988E60.jpeg

B102ECCD-D022-4C04-B52F-001C7BBE1D6E.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Looks like a push fit connection to me, rather like a Wago.  You just push the wires in the holes and they lock in tightly with a spring contact.

Thanks Jeremy. I’ll try it first thing tomorrow morning.

IMPORTANT TIP:

Some light fittings like that, you can only assemble ONCE.  The back cover clips onto the actual lamp holder and it WILL NOT unscrew or otherwise detach.

DO NOT think about trying to fit the cover until the cable is connected.

Of course you know how I know that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

It looks like a clipper/inner. 

the socket isn’t marked neutral or live. Does it make a difference which sides the wires go in?

19 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Ie. Is the flat one live and the upright one neutral?

Yes, it is critical that this is connected the right way around.  The line connection is to the base "pin" of the E27 fitting, the neutral has to go to the part that connects to the outer threaded bit where the lamp screws in.

If this was a bayonet fitting, then the polarity doesn't matter, as either of the pins in the base can be line or neutral.

• Like 1

Just for info, although the lamp socket you have seems to be safer than many, one major flaw in the design of E27 ("Edison") screw base lamps is that it may be possible to touch the threaded part of the lamp whilst unscrewing it.  If this is connected to line, then it will be at 230 V if the power is on (and with some types of light switch it can be hard to determine on and off if a lamp blows).  With the screw part connected to neutral, it will be at, or very close to, earth potential, so the risk of an inadvertent shock is a great deal lower.

Hmmm. The new attachment is wobbling in the cavity. Will the nut in the above image come out so I can use it to “clamp” the new piece in?

when I turn the nut, it swivels the whole screw underneath too.