Ceiling rose wiring

H F

We wanted to change one our ceiling lights. I’ve removed the old fitting and have been confronted with this - please see images.

Our new fixture can’t mount to the existing plastic wiring box. There are multiple live, neutral and earth cables coming out the ceiling. 

Not sure how to get around this.

Suggestions please.

981AFEC4-836E-4EB2-99B5-C9DF13152F3B.jpeg

6E04B289-23C6-416A-AD57-F007C9392910.jpeg

4FA64424-2103-48E3-ABDB-C049FC8DB5F1.jpeg

That looks like a very common loop-in arrangement for a ceiling rose, and you'll need to reproduce those connections in a safe and appropriate way, using some othe connection method, maybe wago connections or choc-block terminal strip. If done neatly you might be able to conceal those connections within the new light fitting, or sometimes I resort to fitting a circular drywall box into the ceiling to contain the connections.

May be worth getting some 4 terminal Wago connectors and using those to join the wires. From you new fitting you need a live and neutral to connect to the neutral and switched live terminals.  You could use the flex wire from the now redundant pendant.

The IMPORTANT thing before you do ANYTHING is to note that not all cables of the same colour do the same thing, so you need to mark EVERY cable in some way before you disconnect anything so you can always revert to how it was.

There is a LOT going on there. You have two 3 core & earth cables, one being red / yellow / blue and one being Brown / black / grey. 2 way switching?

I would be inclined to sink a round plasterboard box into the ceiling to give you space to terminate everything exactly as it is now, bringing one bit of 3 core flex out to your light fitting.  something like this,  https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-circular-dry-liner-box-35mm/90517

Once all your terminals are tucked up inside the box, I am sure the mounting bracket for the light fitting will just fix to the two screws with standard socket screws.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. All coming in handy and slowly getting my head around it.

One spot has been successfully wired. We have three. Two have the same wiring. The middle, in this picture, has two extra cables. There are eight as opposed to six.

I had two cables in slot two. I’ll couple those and connect via neutral to the lamp. Same thing for slot six - they’ll connect to light via live route.

That leaves slots 3,4,5 and 7 - what do j in do with these guys?

Cant work it out from the diagrams provided.

70088B07-09FF-4786-84E4-7ACB7652835F.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I see, just a little bent bar screwed to the ceiling. Is it?

yes. Just confused on the middle one. This is what I’ve done. Will turn stuff on tomorrow when it’s light again.

104B1011-277C-40BC-B833-9EF4F68C5E33.jpeg

Thanks for all the documents and explanations. After expending a lot of brain power, victory is mine. I have to say, it’s rather complicated stuff.

00653A81-03E0-4E8C-8CD2-3CED9E341B46.jpeg

Edited by Home Farm
  • Like 1

The Wago connectors I mentioned earlier are nice because you just use one terminal for each wire and you don't need a screwdriver to tighten.  I am not fond of the choc bloc type that you have used, especially with more than one wire in a terminal.

32 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

I was desperate to get this one as we have guests coming over. I’ll look at buying some of the wago clips this weekend.

Not a bad "starter" kit as an intro into the world of WAGOs:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-basic-installer-box-75pcs/48808?

221s are similar but lower profile lever connectors.

There's push fit types too.

Watch a few videos to get a feel for them.

Edited by Onoff