manifold locations

Wondering about a radial system design. If I have my MVHR unit in a cold attic presumably the ducts need to be insulated and at some point they go in to a manifold.

Is the manifold usually in the warm space below the ceiling or is it covered in mineral wool above the ceiling in the attic?

Is the radial ducting also under the mineral wool?

I'm having a radial sysyem done and the unit will be in the loft. I'm planning to insulate the radial ducts from the manifold about 1m up to where it goes under the insulation. I have been told that all the ducts in a cold loft need to be insulated. I had a word with someone at bpc and he was saying just to insulate the 125mm pipes.

• Like 1

Ducts definitely need insulating, or burying under the insulation in the loft. I think the manifolds have a small amount of insulation in them for acoustic purposes, but not sure how much it provides for heat insulation. I suspect if you can build a box and insulate it around the manifold, this would probably be the best option for minimal heat loss, this is what I plan to do, just becomes a bit of a pain taking it all back out in order to do any cleaning

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Ducts definitely need insulating, or burying under the insulation in the loft. I think the manifolds have a small amount of insulation in them for acoustic purposes, but not sure how much it provides for heat insulation. I suspect if you can build a box and insulate it around the manifold, this would probably be the best option for minimal heat loss, this is what I plan to do, just becomes a bit of a pain taking it all back out in order to do any cleaning

My BPC manifolds were totally un-insulated.  I fitted them to a board on the ceiling beams, and then rolled the additional 200mm loft insulation over them.  Pipes from them to the main unit are in the process of being insulated with 50mm rockwool