Quooker Hot water tap

nod

Does anyone no when the filter needs replacing 

I’ve looked on there site at they recommend the whole unit serviced after 5 years No mention of the filter 

I see most of the other makes recommend the filter replacing every six months 

31 minutes ago, vivienz said:

I think it is a couple of times per year, depending on water hardness. I will check in my info this evening, unless someone responds earlier.

Thanks Viv

I can’t seem to see it online 

They have numerous filters, the one for the boiling water tank is only supposed to be changed every 3-5 years, but isn't intended for dealing with hard water 

https://www.quooker.co.uk/most-frequent-questions/what-maintenance-does-a-quooker-require

https://www.quooker.co.uk/faq/faq/index/tag/change-filter/

The filters for cold/sparkling water and scale control are significantly more frequent (I'm not planning to install either those; just run it from the whole-house water softener instead)

Of course they do - they get a steady income from all the replacement filters! ?  (And it'd be distinctly odd for them to have a scale reduction product and not recommend it)

Our local water softener shop is also a Quooker dealer, and recommended the other approach to us. Also FWIW, on that link I included before,  Quooker say "You can install a descaling system in front of the Quooker, such as the Quooker Scale Control,...." which to  my interpretation is really only them giving one example of how to solve it, not an attempt to place any kind of restriction on which you use.

Our boiling water tap came with a phosphate dosing softener cartridge filter.  Very expensive, around £40 a time to replace it, and it needed replacement every 6 months.  Like @joth, I made enquiries, then removed the filter and have been running our boiling water tap on softened water.  

It seems that the makers of boiling water taps often charge a pretty high price for replacement filters.  The filter that came with ours had a pretty unique bayonet fitting, that I couldn't find anywhere else.  I'm pretty sure it had been designed like this to force you to buy their expensive replacement cartridges.  Reminded me a bit of the sales model for inkjet printers.

• Like 1

Here you go, @nod

This should give you the info you need.

We're about 4 months on now with ours and I am considering switching to the house softened water. We set the filter to the hardness level indicated but we have a slight bit of leakage from the tap and at the base it's leaving a trace of limescale so I assume the filter isn't as effective as the water softener. I will turn up the filtration level for the life of this filter but after that, I think it's simpler to just use softened water.

20191203_173207.jpg

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Does anyone know how the Quooker softens? Is it phosphate dosing a la Jeremeys?

There are really only two ways, use a one-time-use, pre-charged, ion exchange resin (exactly the same as a water softener, but without the regeneration system), or use phosphate dosing, like the Combimate.  From the description that @vivienz has given, I'd say that it's probably a phosphate dosing unit, as phosphate dosing doesn't reduce limescale, it just stops it sticking to anything to form hard scale, so all that's left is a powdery precipitate that will leave white marks if water dries on a surface.

• Thanks 1

A footnote to this thread with a bit if unscientific follow up research.

A couple of buildhubbers visited yesterday and we were chatting about the different qualities of softened and filtered water. My main house water is softened but the kitchen sink tap is a Quooker that provides filtered water. A glass of each was poured and a taste test completed. The softened water had a pronounced salty tang to it but the filtered water was neutral. 3 out of 3 voted for filtered as drinking water on the basis of taste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

For cold drinking water I prefer straight from the mains or chilled.  No filtering or softening.  I understand that drinking hard water can prevent hardening of the arteries.

Oh well, looks like the standpipe outside for me, then!

• Haha 1