Delivery Drop Box?

We get quite a few parcels, and with both partners working, we're often not home. 

Was thinking: are there any low-tech or high-tech solutions one could build? Our current idea is this: 

AmazonHatch.thumb.jpg.992ad6b5449f7520ff28f80a1dba45b1.jpg

Essentially an open box, that can be locked after leaving a parcel (by the deliveryguy, or perhaps digitally), whilst internally, a solid door too, that cna be only unlocked from within the house. 

That would pierce the insulated envelope. Hard work to avoid a cold bridge. My impression is that something like that would make the room feel much colder, as in you will feel a chill in the hall.

Suggest rather something in your accessible porch, or  outside.

One nice way to do it is to have a thing in your porch for resting bags or boxes on whilst you unlock the door, and for that to have a lock-as-it-closed door of some sort.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

A personal Amazon - type Locker , then?

Some of us are old enough to remember Poste Restant : for a fee you could get your post delivered to an office Where a nice lady would give me a sweet each time I went to fetch it.

Ah the good old days...

Is this not back and offered by eg Hermes locations?

8 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Oh- shows how out of touch I am. 

This issue strikes me as analagous to the catflap debacle we had on e Build- What's more important pussy or post?

Cat flap debacle? *Us*?

Here I can get Amazon to deliver to my local Morrisons, but Morrisons do not offer click-and-collect yet for their own goods. ?

Edited by Ferdinand

On 03/12/2019 at 06:05, Ferdinand said:

That would pierce the insulated envelope. Hard work to avoid a cold bridge. My impression is that something like that would make the room feel much colder, as in you will feel a chill in the hall.

Hmm, I guess I still don't quite understand the details of insulated enveloppes. I think I grasp the principle, you dont want a conductive piece of material between outside and inside, but presumably you can build the dropbox with the full wall thickness.. (although that might make it impractical..

On 03/12/2019 at 07:41, Jeremy Harris said:

We have a secure delivery box, one of these: https://www.brizebox.com/

I bolted it to the wall by our back door, with a sign on the external letter-only box by the front door pointing to it.  Seems to work very well.

This is quite cool. Maybe I can somehow put this somewhere unobtrusive and indeed solve it..

On 03/12/2019 at 07:58, joe90 said:

Parcels and post are left in my porch, no lock, no letter box, but we are very remote.

Freebies ! . My delivery mung chucks them in a bin , hedge , just leaves on path , doesn’t Attempt delivery !

2 hours ago, JamesM said:

I was looking at something for parcel deliveries too while away from home and saw https://www.smartparcelbox.com/  but Jeremy Hariss's  https://www.brizebox.com/ looks like a better bet and more secure

I really like the idea of brizebox, but the key for the box seems super simple. I wonder if any mildly capable criminal couldn't open it in 15 seconds flat..