Is there a lintel in my arch?

Charly

Hello! 

I want to square-off the archway as shown in the picture below, marked-up in red.

I've chopped away some of the artex to reveal some concrete which has the original black plaster around it I believe.

By looking at the photos, do you think there is a lintel or some sort of support to hold up the walls above? Can I go ahead and square the arch off? Is there a way I can find out if there is a lintel in there?

- The wall with the arch is a supporting wall I believe as has foundations below it, solid walls above it and has joists resting on it in the attic.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks - Charley

4ca81ae3-9dc6-404e-9e79-5f7eb88b9e01.thumb.jpg.60086e87fbc3aa7d9e170b5dcb93ff1b.jpg

2b24e76a-025b-489a-9812-b3002e455b1b.thumb.jpg.947335809c1f99dc5b67f5545b5a9d55.jpg

@Declan52  you chicken, 

just had a thought @Charly is your house poured concrete, ash type construction. 

As there’s no way I can see that arch being structural it’s far too flat to be structural brickwork, but it could be one of those flyash concrete type mixes where they poured them between shuttering. 

Take me off more plaster where a lintel may be. 

Edited by Jeremy Harris
Fixed wrong user reference

Thanks for all the help, 

@Russell griffiths the house is victorian, I assumed the black was some kind of older plaster, it appears on other walls just in areas like it's been used to patch?

@Declan52 I've drilled into it in a couple of places around 40mm and just seems to be solid concrete?

Pics below - do you reckon ok to remove curved arch bits???

Thanks 

Screenshot_2019-12-03_16_27_22.png

Screenshot_2019-12-03_16_27_14.png

Screenshot_2019-12-03_16_26_49.png

I think your going to have to chip of the plaster in the circle section So you can see exactly what is there. 

Can you lift the what ever is on the floor in the room above to see what direction the joists go. This will let you know if the wall is load bearing. The wall might even continue upwards.

IMG_20191203_163611.jpg