Floor drain for accidental flood

Raks

I have a utility cabinet by the entrance hall and open plan kitchen which will have wood flooring.

Is it a good idea to put floor drains inside the utility cabinet as well as under the kitchen sink unit where my wet appliances will be to minimise the damage of pipe burst flooding accidents?

Edited by Raks

Lots of modern appliances are fitted with Aquastop to prevent flooding.  Is the idea with these drains that all the floors are laid to falls?

In my experience the worst damage can be caused by water slowly escaping and creeping under (the unfortunately named) floating floors.

There is no harm in it, although this kind of incident is pretty rare nowadays. It is most likely when things at first set up if something is not connected properly.

TBH day to day wear on a wood floor in a kitchen will be worse than any damage from a very rare flooding incident.

One thing to watch is how the trap is arranged on any rarely used floor drain.  We have to remember to run a tap in the bath once every few weeks, just to keep the trap topped up.  If we forget the smell coming up from the foul drain soon reminds us...

A dry type one-way valve might work, but I'm not sure how these respond to high flow rates, or whether they will withstand long periods without use.

Our wetroom is next to the utility room where all the stored water and water softener is. One of the reasons for making a wetroom was that, hopefully, if we had a substantial water leak most of the water would find its way down the floor drain. We have tiled floor though.