An Englishman building in Scotland

A friend of mine, the Englishman, is moving to Scotland to buy a plot in the Highlands. He’s never self built before and knows nothing about self building in Scotland. He’s considering an off the shelf timber frame package, he has no experience of building warrants etc. Can anyone help him on his quest, 

Edited by Triassic

There are plenty of self builders in Scotland, and a lot of them (like us) are Englishmen.

Probably the best advice you can give him is to join the forum and talk to us directly, otherwise you are going to be very busy relaying information.

The first thing to get right is the plot, making sure the plot is actually suitable, which is where a good solicitor is helpful.

Then we can talk him through building regs and building warrants that are different here to England.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Triassic said:

A friend of mine, the Englishman, is moving to Scotland to buy a plot in the Highlands. He’s never self built before and knows nothing about self building in Scotland. He’s considering an off the shelf timber frame package, he has no experience of building warrants etc. Can anyone help him on his quest, 

Is this The Englishman, who used to be known as such in the blogging community? 

He built a long barrow on his farm as a columbarium, near Salisbury, I think.

Ferdinand

On 30/11/2019 at 23:27, Ferdinand said:

Is this The Englishman, who used to be known as such in the blogging community?

No, this ones from Lancashire.

I've just shown him around my self build and spent around 4 hours answering questions on every topic under the self build sun!

I've suggested he sign up here. No doubt he'll be along soon with loads of questions.

The Englishman here!  Embarrassingly admit to being born in England but as the country seems to be suffering from a widespread mental illness at the moment we have decided to move up to the Highlands to be with my family and live a simpler life in Britain's most beautiful place.

• Like 2