Should I take the course?

Neb

Hi, I'm new here, and taking a year out of uni to build up some cash. I'm going to be getting my CSCS crd soon, but I was having a look at brick laying. I don't want to do a 35 week course, as I'll be back at Uni by then. I have seen 8 week courses on places like ableskills or Golden trowel. Are these worth it? I know they don't give an NVQ, so I'd have to find a site to do that on, and thats bad enough in and of itself. It's also a lot of money to drop if it doesn't work out. How should I approach this?

Realistically you won't earn much money as your skill level won't be high enough even after 8 weeks. Your nice soft skin won't even have got used cement and bricks eating away at it.

Your best bet would be to try and do a bit of site labouring or if you can labour to some brickies. You won't need any qualifications and the money is in your hand every Friday.

• Haha 1

I’ve an apprentice plaster works for us that’s been with us and collage for two years While his work is ok 

He needs to build up some speed 

Pretty similar with most trades 

These courses are a good grounding for someone who is renovating or hoping to get into renovating property’s 

You’ve got your CSCS and some great advise from Dec 

What is your  degree course in?

One year is nowhere near enough to be earning decent money on the tools,especially when you need to earn back what you’ve paid for & not earned in those 8 weeks. 
What about Rail work?

Around £500 and 3 days course plus a medical & drug/alcohol test & you could be good to go. 

Just now, Brickie said:

What is your  degree course in?

Good question - @Nebyou might find it valuable to see if you can get work that will leverage your interest there and add value at the end of your degree in terms of career. This can take may forms from just having it on your CV up to to giving you insights into  your industry and enabling / supporting your ability to communicate widely across it and have understanding of people who you now work with from your graduate role. Win - win.